Welcome to Reader! This CLI makes it easy to find great books to read. Enter any word or phrase, and it will show you five books matching your query. You can search as many times as you like, and add titles you're interested in to a reading list.
cdinto the directory you'd like Reader to live in, or make a new one.
- Fork and clone this repository.
bundle installto install required gems.
- Open the program in your text editor of choice.
- You will need to supply your own Google Books API key for Reader to function. Just follow these directions to set one up.
- Create a file in the root directory called
.env, add your API key like so:
GOOGLE_BOOKS_KEY='enter your personal API key here'(This file is gitignored in case you are developing on this program).
rspecto test. Green means you're good to go!
ruby ./bin/readto start the program.
- Enter a word or phrase to search for relevant books.
- A numbered list of five books will appear, showing title, author, and publisher.
- Add a book to your reading list by entering the corresponding number.
- You can then view your most recent search, or search again.
- When you finish searching, view your list to see all the books you are interested in. Be sure to copy this list elsewhere, since it will not persist after you exit the program.
- Obtain those books from your supplier of choice and read to your heart's content!
After checking out the repo, run
bin/setup to install dependencies. Then, run
rake spec to run the tests. You can also run
bin/console for an interactive prompt that will allow you to experiment.
Bug reports and pull requests are welcome on GitHub at https://github.com/palledorous/reader. This project is intended to be a safe, welcoming space for collaboration, and contributors are expected to adhere to the Contributor Covenant code of conduct.
The gem is available as open source under the terms of the MIT License.