This is what I use to package up Python (mostly Django apps) packages.
- git clone https://firstname.lastname@example.org/paltman/python-setup-template.git
- cd your-project-directory
- Make sure your package is not at the root of your project directory (e.g. your-project-directory/your_package)
- cp -r ../python-setup-template/* .
- Doing this you should end up with a setup.py and docs/ as peers to your your_package directory.
- Edit the docs/Makefile and change the name of the PROJECT variable to match your package name.
- Edit the docs/conf.py and set the different variables to the approprate values.
- Write your documentation you can use the provided stubs, but they are mostly what I use to document Django apps so I leave them in here.