Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Prop Loader for iOS
The Prop Loader iOS application (for iPhone or iPad) provides a wireless download interface to a Parallax Propeller. The Prop Loader takes pre-compiled binary images (Propeller Application Images) and transmits them to a Propeller that is connected to an XBee Wi-Fi S6B module. The Propeller Application Images must be created and saved by a separate Propeller compiler or development system running on any platform.
The Prop Loader was a first step in creating an iOS-based development system for the Propeller- it represents the downloader portion of the project, whereas the SimpleIDE_iOS app provides the editor and compiler portion. It is likely that the Prop Loader's core code will be included within the SimpleIDE_iOS app when it's complete.
- [2/2014 - 3/2014] - Initial research and experimentation to determine if wireless delivery over XBee Wi-Fi was practical. This was successful and resulted in an initial version of Prop Loader but was found to only be reliable in "quiet" networks.
- [3/2014 - 6/2014] - A more robust wireless download protocol/system developed using the same prototype as above, plus a desktop computer running Object Pascal code (Windows), Wireshark Ethernet traffic monitoring software, and a logic analyzer. The underlying network mechanisms were changed and the techniques were enhanced for reliability. This is demonstrated and documented in the following places:
- [7/2014 - 8/2014] - The Prop Loader App enhanced to include the new techniques based on the code and documentation above.
- Mike Westerfield developed the Prop Loader iOS app and was a vital part of experiments and discussions.
- Jeff Martin developed the final protocol employed by the downloading process, documented, and released it.