Spree Essentials is the base for many content related extensions for Spree. It doesn't do much on it's own ;)
Spree Essentials provides other extensions with:
- An asset-upload interface
- An easy markdown editor with ajax preview
- Image picker for embedding uploaded images into markdown editor
- A common navigation tab ("Content")
- A shared
Current essential-aware extensions include:
- spree_essential_cms: A full featured CMS with pages, contents, images and more
- spree_essential_blog: A blog complete with archives, categories, tags and related products
- spree_essential_press: A simple press page for displaying media related content.
Spree Essentials can be installed by itself by adding the following to your Gemfile:
# Spree 1.1.x gem 'spree_essentials', '~> 0.5.0.rc1' # Spree 1.0.x gem 'spree_essentials', '~> 0.4.0' # Spree 0.70.x gem 'spree_essentials', '~> 0.3.3' # Spree 0.60.x gem 'spree_essentials', '~> 0.2.3'
This isn't necessary if you're using spree_essentials based extensions. If that's the case, just include the extensions normally:
gem 'spree_essential_cms' gem 'spree_essential_blog'
Once that's complete, run the migration generator and migrate your database:
To see your available generators run
Now run the generators for extensions you wish to install
rails g spree_essentials:install rails g spree_essentials:cms rails g spree_essentials:blog
Then migrate your database:
If that all went smoothly, you should be ready to boot the server with:
Now login to the admin and click on the 'Content' tab!
Follow these steps if you plan host your attachments with a CDN like amazon s3. This is useful when deploying to heroku.
First, add the aws-sdk gem to your
gem 'aws-sdk', '~> 1.3'
Next, create some buckets on s3. I use the s3cmd.
s3cmd mb s3://yoursite.dev --acl-public s3cmd mb s3://yoursite.com --acl-public
Now create a config file for s3 in
# config/s3.yml defaults: &defaults s3_protocol: http access_key_id: YOUR_KEY secret_access_key: YOUR_SECRET bucket: yoursite.dev development: <<: *defaults test: <<: *defaults production: <<: *defaults bucket: yoursite.com
Lastly, create a decorator for the upload model in
# app/models/spree/upload_decorator.rb Spree::Upload.attachment_definitions[:attachment].merge!( :storage => 's3', :s3_credentials => Rails.root.join('config', 's3.yml'), :path => "/uploads/:id/:style/:basename.:extension" )
# app/models/spree/asset_decorator.rb [ Spree::Content, Spree::PageImage, Spree::PostImage, Spree::Upload ].each do |cls| cls.attachment_definitions[:attachment].merge!( :storage => 's3', :s3_credentials => Rails.root.join('config', 's3.yml'), :path => "/:class/:id/:style/:basename.:extension" ) end
That's all there is to it!
Spree Essentials is under constant development... Development is being done on OSX with Ruby 1.9.3 and usually the latest version of Spree. (currently 1.1.0.rc1)
Please let me know if you find any bugs or have feature requests you'd like to see.
The test suite can be run like so:
git clone git://github.com/citrus/spree_essentials.git cd spree_essentials bundle install bundle exec dummier rake
You can easily use the test/dummy app as a demo of spree_essentials. Just
cd to where you develop and run:
git clone git://github.com/citrus/spree_essentials.git cd spree_essentials cp test/dummy_hooks/after_migrate.rb.sample test/dummy_hooks/after_migrate.rb bundle install bundle exec dummier cd test/dummy rails s
- better documentation (you know you want to help!)
0.50.0.rc1 - 2012/4/11
- Spree 1.1.x compatibility
0.40.0 - 2012/4/11
- Add Italian translation - (@iloveitaly)
- Add Russian translation - (@shaggyone)
- Release v0.40.0
0.40.0.rc3 - 2012/3/7
- Normalize upload attachment location
- Use rails engine conventions for installation
- Remove shared InstallGenerator class
- Improved test coverage
- Added test/spree_essential_example
0.40.0.rc2, 0.3.3 - 2012/1/20
- Precompile admin assets in production
0.4.0.rc1 - 2012/1/16
- Add Spree 1.0.0 compatibility
- Breaks with previous versions of Spree
0.3.2 - 2011/12/30
- Safer decorator load path
0.3.1 - 2011/12/13
- Fix broken markitup editor
- Rework 'selected' class on content tab
0.3.0 - 2011/12/13
- Upgrade to Spree 0.70.x
- Remove spork dependency
....more in CHANGELOG.md
If you'd like to help out feel free to fork and send me pull requests!
Copyright (c) 2011 - 2012 Spencer Steffen & Citrus, released under the New BSD License All rights reserved.