Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Clone this wiki locally
ESOS will run on any x86-64 platform; a 64-bit capable CPU is required (eg, AMD64 / Intel 64). SCST, the core of ESOS, is fully multi-threaded with complete SMP support, meaning the more sockets/cores you have, and the faster your CPUs, the more IO that can be processed.
Enterprise-grade server hardware is definitely recommended for your ESOS disk array. Obviously redundant power supplies, multiple HBAs/HCAs/NICs, fault-tolerant RAID back-storage, memory sparring/mirroring, etc. should all be must-haves for production deployments.
In addition to the above, the following are required to run ESOS:
- At least 4 GB of usable, physical RAM.
- A USB flash drive that is at least 4 GB.
If you have any hardware that you would like supported that is not listed below, please submit a request to the esos-users Google Group.
Local RAID Controllers
While there is support for a number of different RAID controllers, not all brands include the CLI tools that allow creating/destroying/etc. volumes from inside ESOS. If your favorite RAID controller has a CLI tool, please let us know so we can consider including it with ESOS.
- LSI Logic MegaRAID cards (CLI tool: MegaCli64 / storcli64) ** Including re-branded MegaRAID compatible adapters: Dell PERC; IBM ServeRAID; Sun/Oracle, Cisco, and Intel RAID controllers
- Adaptec AACRAID cards (CLI tool: arcconf) ** Including re-branded AACRAID compatible adapters: IBM ServeRAID; Sun/Oracle RAID controllers
- HP Smart Array cards (CLI tool: hpacucli)
- Areca SATA/SAS RAID cards (CLI tool: cli64)
- 3ware 9000-series SATA and 9700-series SATA/SAS RAID cards (CLI tool: tw_cli.x86_64)
Fibre Channel HBAs / FCoE CNAs (Target, Initiator Support)
QLogic FC HBAs and FCoE CNAs are fully supported in ESOS. Emulex FC/FCoE products based on SLI-4 are supported via the OneCore Storage SDK from Emulex (manual build required).
Chelsio T5 10/40 GbE FCoE adapters are supported via the Unified Wire driver (manual build required).
- QLogic QLA2XXX FC Host Bus Adapters (QLE2460, QLE2560, QLA2340, etc.)
- QLogic QLE8XXX FCoE Converged Network Adapters (QLE8360, QLE8362, etc.)
- Emulex XE201 IOC combo adapters (LPe15004, LPe16000B, LPe16202, and LPe16004)
- Emulex XE100-series 10/40 GbE CNAs (OCe14102-UX, OCe14102-UM, OCe14101-NX, OCe14102-NX, and OCe14401-NX)
Chelsio T5 UWire CNAs (T520, T580, T540, and T522)
InfiniBand HCAs (Target, Initiator Support)
Several different brand/model IB Host Channel Adapters work with ESOS.
- Mellanox InfiniHost Host Channel Adapters (MT23108, MT25208, etc.)
- Mellanox ConnectX PCI Express HCAs (MNPH29D-XTR, MHGH28-XTC, etc.) (Note: Cards like the ConnectX-3 that support Ethernet and IB personalities are Ethernet by default until the IB module is loaded.)
- QLogic HTX Host Channel Adapter (QHT7140)
- Intel PCIe QLE InfiniBand HCAs (QLogic QLE7340, QLE7280, etc.)
- Chelsio iWARP/RDMA T3 1/10 GbE adapters
- Cehlsio iWARP/RDMA T4 1/10 GbE adapters
- NetEffect Ethernet Cluster Server Adapters (RNIC driver)
Network Interface Cards / CNAs (Initiator, NIC Support)
Although Linux provides drivers for a ton of different NICs, we tried to keep it simple and only support NICs that are common in enterprise IT environments. The list below includes popular 10 GbE and 1 GbE cards, and even a couple lower-end cards that might be useful for console/configuration access (SSH).
- Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet adapters
- Intel PRO/1000 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet adapters
- Intel 82575/82576 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet adapters
- Broadcom Tigon3 adapters
- Broadcom NetXtremeII adapters (with CNIC support)
- QLogic QLA3XXX adapters
- Chelsio T1/T3/T4 1 GbE and 10 GbE adapters (with T3/T4 initiator iSCSI offload support)
- Cisco VIC Ethernet NIC adapter
- Intel 10GbE PCI Express adapters
- Intel PRO/10GbE adapters
- Mellanox Technologies ConnectX 10Gbit Ethernet adapters (Note: Cards like the ConnectX-3 that support Ethernet and IB personalities are Ethernet by default until the IB module is loaded.)
- Broadcom NetXtremeII 10Gb cards (with iSCSI/FCoE initiator offload support)
- QLogic QLCNIC 1/10Gb CNAs (QLE8240, QLE8242)
- QLogic QLGE ISP8XXX 10Gb Ethernet adapters
- Brocade 1010/1020 10Gb Ethernet cards
- Intel(R) PRO/100+ Ethernet cards
- RealTek RTL-8139 C+ PCI Fast Ethernet adapters
- RealTek RTL-8129/8130/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet adapters
- Realtek 8169 Gigabit Ethernet cards
- Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet cards
- Marvell Yukon 2 Ethernet adapters