Clone this wiki locally
In the interest of keeping our community a helpful and friendly place, we have designed a set of guidelines detailing the standards of behavior that are expected in the
#parrot IRC channel. While this is not official policy, we encourage you to follow these rules and behave in a respectable manner.
- Try to be a catalyst.
- Be patient. Although someone may be available on the channel, they may not be physically present at their computer. Wait awhile for someone to speak before asking again or leaving.
- Try not to stray too far off-topic. The
#parrotchannel is a workplace for Parrot developers and we'd like to keep it that way. We all have personalities though so it's okay to express yourself.
- Keep criticism of other users to a private message with them. Don't publicly humiliate them. Try to put yourself in their shoes.
- Do not use text highlighting, messages all in upper-case, or repeat the same thing over and over. This behavior is very irritating and you will immediately be asked to stop.
- Do not post large chunks of text. If you have a piece of code or a large log message you'd like to share, use our pastebin: Nopaste.
- If you are a channel operator, don't abuse your privileges. Always give a reason and warning before exercising them.
- Do not be provocative or deliberately start flame wars. There is no place for inflammatory and off-topic discussions in our community. We also do not tolerate trolls.
- Try not to patronize or be condescending to newcomers. Patience is a virtue.
- Do not give malicious advice such as
rm -rf /. If you see this being done, please step in or report it to a channel operator.
- Do not use hate speech or slang pertaining to sexual orientation, religious affiliation, ethnicity, or any other potentially controversial topics such as politics. Discrimination in any way, shape, or form will not be tolerated and you will be asked not to come back.
- Do not try to exploit or abuse IRC servers or else risk being banned.
- Use common sense.
As always, be nice, keep it clean, and stay on topic!