A private journal over email service.
Dabble Me helps people remember what's happened in their life. Use it as a light-weight journal on a daily, weekly, or even monthly basis...it's up to you! Dabble Me will email you on a time & days you choose - you simply reply to the email to post entries. The app is live at https://dabble.me. This is a great replacement if you had ever used OhLife.
This app utilizes the following 3rd party services:
- CloudFlare managed DNS + free SSL support (free for basic service)
- Mailgun for Sending & Receiving Email (free for 50k emails per month)
- Amazon S3 for Photo Uploads & Storage (free for 1 year)
- MailChimp for sending updates to all users (free for 2,000 subscribers)
- Google Analytics for traffic stats (free for standard analytics)
- Recaptcha to prevent bot signups (free)
- Clarafai to analyze images for legality (free up to 5,000/mo)
You will need to setup Mailgun to receive incoming emails and point them to your app to parse.
In order to turn on scheduled emails in Heroku, you'll need to add an hourly job using the Heroku Scheduler.
Your local environment variables at
config/local_env.yml (and on Heroku) will need to be something like this (
rake db:seed will create the firstname.lastname@example.org account for you):
MAIN_DOMAIN: yourdomain.com SECRET_KEY_BASE: 1234..1234 DEVISE_SECRET_KEY: 1234..1234 SMTP_DOMAIN: post.yourdomain.com MAILGUN_API_KEY=api-key MAILCHIMP_API_KEY: f....3333-ek3 MAILCHIMP_LIST_ID: 9982...112 ADMIN_EMAILS: email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org RECAPTCHA_SITE_KEY: 6Lc6BAAAAAAAAChqRbQZcn_yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy RECAPTCHA_SECRET_KEY: 6Lc6BAAAAAAAAKN3DRm6VA_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx CLARIFAI_V2_API_KEY: asdl2k34jl2kn1l2hn234 CLARIFAI_V2_NSFW_MODEL: asdflkj23498oihlj2n34kn23 GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_ID=UA-12345-67 ## ONLY FOR PRODUCTION
###Things you may want to rip out
If you want to bypass using Mailchimp to collect email addresses, simply don't put a value in for
MAILCHIMP_API_KEY. I use Mailchimp to email out new features to the users at Dabble.me, so if you're the only one using your app it doesn't make sense to have Mailchimp.
Same for Recaptcha and Clarafai: simply don't add an environment variables for
There is healthy coverage of the app, which you can run with:
The Admin emails are accounts that have access to the Admin Dropdown in the navbar (lock icon) that give you details into the number of entries and users in the system.
###Inspirations and OhLife Importer
If you want random bits of inspiration, you can load up different quotes in the Inspiration table to be shown above the New Posts page and at the bottom of emails. If you plan on using OhLife, the system will tag imported posts with
inspiration_id of 1 - so create the first Inspiration with a category name of "OhLife".
Inspiration.create(category: 'OhLife', body: 'Imported from OhLife')
- Read past entries by month/year
- Create new entries with simple formatting
- OhLife Importer
- Email: Reply-to-post new entries on days of the week you choose (with random past entries embedded)
- Associate 1 image to a specific entry
- Search with basic analytics around posting
- Hashtag support for tagging your entries
- Year in Review