TODO for newcomers
Clone this wiki locally
TODO for newcomers
Interested in starting hacking for nvidia cards? Here is a list of small tasks to get you started.
Please consider read the Introductorycourse we are writing.
Documentation & Communication
Our documentation effort for end-users nears 0. This can be easily explained by the lack of man power.
We need people motivated, dedicated, with a sense of responsibility and initiative.
Basically, this is the level 1 on nouveau involvement's scale. Almost everyone motivated can suit our needs :)
Here are ideas of the kind of tasks one can do:
- Issue new TiNDC(The irregular Nouveau Development Companion). The last one dates back to March 2011.
- Tidy-up the wikis
- Write wiki pages on how to test things
- Write scripts to automate some testings
- Answer basic questions on IRC
- Try to get useful bug reports from users
- Request vbioses and meaningful data from users, sort the answers
- Gather all the docs we have and put it in one place.
Possible mentor: mupuf
To help us writing some code,
- Provide sysfs hooks for power management. Possible mentor: mupuf.
- Improve and debug power management. Possible mentor: mupuf.
- Gallium 3D: If you know about compilers and OpenGL, please drop in here! Possible mentor: (ask mupuf)
- GPGPU: Implementation of OpenCL. Possible mentors: mupuf.
- Improve our lockup discovery, report and maybe recovery. Possible mentor: mupuf (with the help of the Ubuntu X team).
Reverse Engineering may sound difficult, but some tasks really are trivial, we'll list them first:
- Improve the current temperature vbios parsing. Possible mentor: mupuf.
- Find where is the max brightness in the vbios. Possible mentor: mupuf
- --- Giant leap in difficulty here, but if you are interested, you should be able to help ---
- MPEG4 hw video decoding. Possible mentors: mlankhorst, mupuf
- Reverse engineering of any of the execution engines (like PFIFO, PGRAPH, PCRYPT, PVP, PBSP, PPPP or PCOPY). Possible mentor: mwk.