StackGeography is the code behind stackgeography.apphb.com. StackGeography is a mapping of recent question from Stack Exchange API sites on a Google Maps API map. All Stack Exchange sites are capable of being polled, though the current selection system filters out the corresponding "Meta *" sites to keep the list from being so long.
- Multiple site polling concurrently
- Per-site icons
While everything is in a fairly stable state, I do plan to add a number of additional features.
- Additional data visualization I would like to add some indicators to the question info window to indicate votes/score, answered status, and number of answers.
- jQuery v1.7.1 (MIT or GPL) (used for just about everything)
- jQuery UI v1.8.16 (MIT or GPL) (used for the site selection dialog)
- URI.js (MIT or GPL) (used to simplify URL handling)
- jquery-jsonp (MIT)
- jquery.hotkeys (MIT or GPL)
MIT license. If you do something cool with it, though, I'd love to hear about it.
I wanted to put together a mapping demo that I could use for a demo project of an upcoming feature I am adding to the Sierra Trading Post API (my full-time job). Since the day I started writing the first code for the Sierra Trading Post API, I have tried to research other APIs to learn from their successes and pain points. One such API that has provided a lot of [positive] learning is the Stack Exchange API. It just so happened that they were releasing version 2 of their API, so I decided to use that for my first proof-of-concept mapping fun.
I started everything in jsFiddle. After exactly 337 revisions over a week through jsFiddle, I decided to put the code and markup somewhere more permanent. I went out and registered a domain and set up this repository. I have started working on getting it hosted through AppHarbor but I haven't nailed that down yet as I am still picking up Git, GitHub, and AppHarbor.
- Ability to poll meta Stack Exchange sites, defaults to omit to keep site list shorter (toggle via saved option).
- Marker placement can be staggered via saved option.
- Clear map markers via #.
- Polling multiple sites concurrently! The UI still needs work, but if you return to site selection by pressing S, you can keep adding sites to poll.
- Polling management: hit P to view pending polls and cancel some/all of them.
- Options management: hit O to view/set options (more options to come).
- Using localStore for StackGeography options (currently only saving last selected site and maximum map markers).
- Mark questions with site-specific map markers.
- Options window:
- Toggle site-based map markers vs. generic stackgeography.com map marker.
- Change max number of markers shown (default 500).
- Switched to ASP.NET MVC to make it easier to output-cache common API hits on the server.
- Added location geocoding in batches (up to 100).
- Added filters to the Stack Exchange API calls to cut down on JSON coming back from those requests.
- Switched to SQL Server on AppHarbor to avoid locking issues on geocode cache inserts.
- Added keyboard shortcuts ('?' brings up hint window).
- Google Maps 403 issue patched with server-side caching proxy for geocoding API requests.