- I maintain this repo as my dotfiles, but I'm keenly aware people are using it for theirs.
- You're quite welcome to make suggestions, however I may decline if it's not of personal value to me.
- If you're starting off anew, consider forking mathias or alrra. paulmillr and gf3 also have great setups
I would not suggest you just wholesale use my dotfiles. But there's a few files where there's great goodies you can steal.
This repo contains config for fish and bash. As of 2016, I primarily use
fish shell, but fall back to
bash once in a while. The bash and fish stuff are both well maintained. If you're using fish you'll want to do a
git submodule update --init.
my favorite parts.
aliases and functions
So many goodies.
The "readline config" (
Basically it makes typing into the prompt amazing.
- tab like crazy for autocompletion that doesnt suck. tab all the things. srsly.
- no more that says "Display all 1745 possibilities? (y or n)" YAY
cat <uparrow>to see your previous
cats and use them.
- case insensitivity.
- tab all the livelong day.
- err'body gotta have their aliases. I'm no different.
Moving around in folders (
z helps you jump around to whatever folder. It uses actual real magic to determine where you should jump to. Seperately there's some
... aliases to shorten
cd ../.. and
.... etc. Then, if you have a folder open in Finder,
cdf will bring you to it.
.... # drop back equivalent to cd ../../..
cdf # cd to whatever's up in Finder
z learns only once its installed so you'll have to cd around for a bit to get it taught.
Lastly, I use
open . to open Finder from this path. (That's just available normally.)
overview of files
setup-a-new-machine.sh- random apps i need installed
symlink-setup.sh- sets up symlinks for all dotfiles and vim config.
.macos- run on a fresh mac os setup
brew-cask.sh- homebrew initialization
.extra for your private configuration
There will be items that don't belong to be committed to a git repo, because either 1) it shoudn't be the same across your machines or 2) it shouldn't be in a git repo. Kick it off like this:
touch ~/.extra && $EDITOR $_
I have some EXPORTS, my PATH construction, and a few aliases for ssh'ing into my servers in there.
Sensible OS X defaults in
Mathias's repo is the canonical for this, but you should probably run his or mine after reviewing it.
One-off binaries that aren't via an npm global or homebrew. git open,
subl for Sublime Text, and some other git utilities.
Rust folks have made a few things that are changing things.
- most folks know
- https://github.com/dandavison/delta seems a lot better than the diff-so-fancy project that i started. :/
- https://github.com/ogham/exa is better
lsand gets all the trapd00r/LS_COLORS stuff etc.
- https://github.com/bigH/git-fuzzy interactive git thing. deprecates my
git recentscript. and probably some other things.
Dotfiles mgmt todo
Also I'd like to migrate to using one of these:
- homesick or
also interested in https://github.com/dandavison/open-in-editor