Installation | Changelog | Issues | Shortcuts | Documentation | Screenshots | Nextcloud API | Nextcloud App Page | ownCloud API | Telegram Group | IRC Chat | Gitter Chat | QOwnNotes Web Companion Chrome extension
You are able to write down your thoughts with QOwnNotes and edit or search for them later from your mobile device, like with Nextcloud Notes for Android or the Nextcloud / ownCloud web-service.
If you like the concept of having notes accessible in plain text files, like it is done in the Nextcloud / ownCloud notes apps to gain a maximum of freedom then QOwnNotes is for you.
Visit the project page here: QOwnNotes project page
To get more on-line features for your notes, like versioning and trash access, you might also want to install the QOwnNotesAPI app on your server.
To access your ownCloud notes from your mobile device you may want to get one of these:
On Android you could also use any sync-tool like Synchronize Ultimate or FolderSync to sync your note files and use software like neutriNotes or Markor to edit your notes.
On iOS Notebooks may also work well (syncing notes via WebDAV).
You can visit the QOwnNotes project page for more screenshots.
- multiple note folders can be used
- you can use your existing text or markdown files, no need for an import most of the times
- older versions of your notes can be restored from your Nextcloud / ownCloud server (install QOwnNotesAPI on your server)
- trashed notes can be restored from your Nextcloud / ownCloud server
(install QOwnNotesAPI on your server)
- there also is a local trash
- sub-string searching of notes is possible and search results are highlighted in the notes
- application can be operated with customizable keyboard shortcuts
- external changes of note files are watched (notes or note list are reloaded)
- differences between current note and externally changed note are shown in a dialog
- markdown highlighting of notes and a markdown preview
- spellchecking support
- tabbing support for editing notes
- scripting support and an online script repository where you can install scripts inside the application
- QOwnNotes Web Companion browser extension to a add notes from the selected text and other features
- notes are getting their name from the first line of the note text (just like
in the Nextcloud / ownCloud notes web-application) and the note text files are
automatically renamed, if the the first line changes
- this feature can also be turned off and you can use any filename you like
- manage your Nextcloud / ownCloud todo lists (ownCloud tasks or Tasks Plus / Calendar Plus)
- encryption of notes (AES-256 is built in or you can use custom encryption methods like Keybase.io (encryption-keybase.qml) or PGP (encryption-pgp.qml))
- dark mode theme support
- all panels can be placed wherever you want, they can even float or stack (fully dockable)
- toolbars are fully customizable
- support for freedesktop theme icons, so you can use QOwnNotes with your native desktop icons and with your favorite dark desktop theme QOwnNotes supports Freedesktop icon themes
- support for hierarchical note tagging and note subfolders
- support for sharing notes on your Nextcloud / ownCloud server
- portable mode for carrying QOwnNotes around on USB sticks
- Vim mode
- distraction free mode, full-screen mode, typewriter mode
- Evernote import
- QOwnNotes is available in over 60 different languages like English, German, French, Polish, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Hungarian, Dutch and Spanish
To get the most current features you can build the application from the source code. Download the latest source here: QOwnNotes Source on GitHub as ZIP
Alternatively you can also checkout the code directly from the git repository:
git clone https://github.com/pbek/QOwnNotes.git -b master cd QOwnNotes git submodule update --init
Then download Qt Creator, open the
src/QOwnNotes.pro and click on Build / Run.
Or you can build it directly in your terminal:
cd src # build binary translation files if you want another language than English lrelease QOwnNotes.pro qmake make
Please feel free to contribute source code to this project, make suggestions or report troubles on the QOwnNotes issues page!
You can also visit QOwnNotes on GitHub.
Minimum software requirements
- A desktop operating system, that supports Qt
- Qt 5.3+
- gcc 4.8+
This SOFTWARE PRODUCT is provided by THE PROVIDER "as is" and "with all faults." THE PROVIDER makes no representations or warranties of any kind concerning the safety, suitability, lack of viruses, inaccuracies, typographical errors, or other harmful components of this SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
There are inherent dangers in the use of any software, and you are solely responsible for determining whether this SOFTWARE PRODUCT is compatible with your equipment and other software installed on your equipment. You are also solely responsible for the protection of your equipment and backup of your data, and THE PROVIDER will not be liable for any damages you may suffer in connection with using, modifying, or distributing this SOFTWARE PRODUCT.