pecryptfs - Portable Userspace eCryptfs
pecryptfs is a simple and somewhat incomplete Python reimplementation of the eCryptfs filesystem encryption. Unlike eCryptfs, which is a Linux kernel module, pecryptfs runs completely in userspace and works on individual files via command line tools.
It is recommended to keep a backup around, as pecryptfs might not be able to deal with more exotic features of eCryptfs correctly and do bad things.
- encrypt filenames (AES, DES, Blowfish)
- decrypt filenames (AES, DES, Blowfish)
- decrypt file content (AES16 only)
- password based encryption/decryption
- no encryption of file content
- no recursive decryption of directory trees
- no in-place decryption of files, content goes to stdout
- no SSL support
- no xattr support
pecryptfs comes with a
setup.py and can be installed like most other
sudo pip3 install .
To encrypt a filename:
$ pecryptfs-filename --encrypt HelloWorld Password: ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWYp3QmdieuVx-ReNM93cFJhZmQKb9S.7xyoNLh2yALCb17qYCkx232fM---
To decrypt a filename:
$ pecryptfs-filename --decrypt ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWYp3QmdieuVx-ReNM93cFJhZmQKb9S.7xyoNLh2yALCb17qYCkx232fM--- Password: HelloWorld
--move option with rename the file, otherwise the name is just printed to stdout.
To decrypt the content of a file:
$ pecryptfs-decrypt YourEncryptedFileHere Password: HelloWorld