Silk Guardian is an anti-forensic LKM kill-switch that waits for a change on your usb ports and then wipes your ram, deletes precious files, and turns off your computer.
Very Very much inspired by usbkill I remade this project as a LKM because I feel that it could be implemented better than it already is.
The project is still under development but it does work and is effective.
make sudo insmod silk.ko
There are 3 reasons (maybe more?) to use this tool:
- In case the police or other thugs come busting in (or steal your laptop from you when you are at a public library as happened to Ross). The police commonly uses a « mouse jiggler » to keep the screensaver and sleep mode from activating.
- You don't want someone retrieve documents from your computer via USB or install malware or backdoors.
- You want to improve the security of your (Full Disk Encrypted) home or corporate server (e.g. Your Raspberry).
[!] Important: Make sure to use (partial) disk encryption ! Otherwise they will get in anyway.
Tip: Additionally, you may use a cord to attach a USB key to your wrist. Then insert the key into your computer and insert the kernel module. If they steal your computer, the USB will be removed and the computer shuts down immediately.
- Shutdown the computer when there is USB activity
- Secure deletion of incriminating files before shutdown
- No dependencies
- Difficult to detect
- Ability to whitelist USB devices
- Remove files before shutdown
- Remove userspace dependancy upon shutdown
More like... to-done. Way to go community you did it!
2.0 - Updated to use notifier interface. Thus making this product like... 1000% better
1.5 - Updated to use shred and remove files on shutdown
1.0 - Initial release.