Monitoring the heck out of your database
Josh Williams, End Point
What are we looking for?
- Performance of the system
- Application throughput
- Is it dead or about to die?
"They don't care if the system's on fire so long as it's making money."
- Log monitoring for errors
- Log monitoring for query performance
- Control files / External commands
- Statistics from the DB itself
Monitoring error conditions
- ERROR: Division by zero
- FATAL: password authentication
- PANIC: could not write to file
Quick discussion of tail_n_mail: http://bucardo.org/wiki/Tail_n_mail
Log monitoring for query performance
- pgsi http://bucardo.org/wiki/Pgsi
Most of the rest of the talk was about check_postgres, which I already know all about. A few cool to-do items came out of it.o
- Look at tracking --dbstats in cacti
- Add the --noidle to --action=backends to get a better sense of the counts.