Once in a while, we should retreat to study, practice, enjoy quiet time, meditate. Get insights, get inspired, by the practice, by others amazing work. Be honest. Step out of the frame. May be it is not that much about us.
Coding is very much about writing. Symbolic languages, natural languages. Writing revolves around inspiration – or none, passing time, insights, culture, knowledge and effort, rest, never ending practice.
And forget not taking a break, feed the fire to stay warm, walk Caju the dog, breathe, and celebrate the happy times.
- March–April 2020 · 4 weeks · Celebrating 20 years of coding and challenging ourselves · Surprize!
- February–March 2019 · 5 weeks · Contamines-Montjoie Focus on learning streaming data pipes with Streams and Lit-Element; and visualization experiments with Web Components, ObservableHQ, VEGA, D3 and THREE. Walk in snow, cook at home, quiet time, super happy dog.
- December 2018 · 4 days · Contamines-Montjoie Focus on learning Web Workers & experiments. Enjoy the fire. Coffee. Happy dog.
- May 2017 · 2 weeks · Cornwall & London Focus on learning Neo4j, advanced search recommendations and graph data modelling, graph visualizations. Visit of Eden Project biodomes in Cornwall — we spent our retreat there and lodged in containers. London: training at SkillMaters & attended GraphConnect. Had lots of fun; and some beers!
- March 2016 · 2 weeks · Saas-Fee
Knowledge graph and topographic visualizations with Unity and C#
Understanding Datomic, DataScript and trying to reimplement a minimal version in C#
- Firebase Summit 2019 Madrid · 1 day · 26.09.2019
- Firebase Summit 2018 Prague · 1 day · 29.10.2018
- Google Next 2018 London · 3 days · 10–12.10.2018
- Polymer Summit 2017 Copenhagen · 2 days
- GraphConnect Europe 2017 London · 2 days
- Polymer Summit 2016 London · 2 days
- EuroClojure 2015 Barcelona · 2 days
Deep-dive & hackathons
- Mapping Festival 2019 / Workshops 6, 9 & 10 Geneva · 3 days
- Google Next 2018 / End-to-End Machine Learning with TensorFlow on GCP London · 1 day
- GraphConnect Europe 2017 / Neo4j Advanced Training London · 1 day
- Museomix 2014 Geneva · 3 days
- Clojure Training with Lambda Next Geneva · 3 days
- Gōng-fu I/O sessions Geneva · 2 hours every week, since 5 years
- A Primer on GraphQL 29.10.2019, GenevaJUG meetup
- Graphs for Data-driven Journalists 10.09.2019, Tamedia DDJ team
- A Primer on Web Components 11.03.2019, GenevaWeb meetup
- Agile Barebones — A Portfolio Explorer in 7 weeks 27.10.2016, Soft-Shake Geneva
- Gōng-fu I/O en 10 minutes 27.05.2014, Geneva JUG
- Apache Cocoon in 60 minutes Hortis, 2004
- An XML publishing pipeline IUHEI / TECFA, 2003
- XML & XSLT & XSL-FO 2002