Norwegian translation of Free Culture
The original book version is available from http://free-culture.cc/ .
See http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Dugnad_for___sende_norsk_versjon_av_Free_Culture_til_stortingets_representanter_.html for a project description.
The images were found in the HTML version available from Elegant Ebooks.
The source of this project is available from the free-culture-lessig github repository.
The original source for the book is freeculture.xml, a Docbook formattet file. This file is transformed to the freeculture.pot, which is the base file for translators. It was copied to freeculture.nb.po as the starting point of the Norwegian Bokmål translation, and the text blocks are translated in this file.
Only the files freeculture.xml and freeculture.nb.po should be manually edited!
The freeculture.xml file is automatically combined with the freeculture.nb.po file to create a new generated file freeculture.nb.xml representing the Norwegian Bokmål Docbook version. This file is in turn used to generate the HTML, PDF and EPUB version of the book.
To build the PDF and EPUB version of this book, the following Debian packages are needed:
make po4a dblatex (>= 0.3.4-2 in debian, for nb support) dbtoepub libxml2-utils gnuplot xmlto
When the build requirements are in place, the PDF and EPUB version of the book can be build by running 'make' on the command line.
Changes done to the original
Changed typo in introduction (page 11 in original):
Is it not about the «centrality of technology» to ordinary life.
It is not about the «centrality of technology» to ordinary life.
Changed typo in quote from Elizabeth Daly (page 40 in original), removed trailing quite character:
power with this language."
power with this language.
Rewrote colophon page and dropped irrelevant pages between the content table and the preface.
- Convert remaining figures to SVG.
- Figure out a way to translate SVGs, or pick the correct of the original and translated SVGs for the English and Norwegian version.
- Complete translation of the foot notes.
- Figure out translation of the words/phrases marked with a star (*)
- Decide which docbook to PDF processor to use (dblatex, docbook-xsl/fop or xmlto).
- Decide how to handle chapter numbering.
- Decide the paper size to use.
- Figure out where to print the book.
- Get ISBN numbers (from Thomas Gramstad).
- Decide what content to include in the colophon page.
- Complete the spell checking of the content (using the txt version is easiest).
- Complete the proof reading.
- Publish first edition.
- (Add missing index entries. Nice to have, not vital. See scripts/idxcompare for helper script.)