- Pinyinbase is free software.
- Pinyinbase is a truly free, libre, and open source Chinese-English dictionary.
- Pinyinbase content is released to the public domain.
- View the pitchdeck for a quick synopsis.
- Create or edit vocab lists.
- Collect and compile vocab lists.
- Use the compiled Pinyinbase dictionary file.
Pinyinbase Vs. CC-CEDICT
- Pinyinbase is NOT a CEDICT (or CC-CEDICT) fork.
- Pinyinbase uses CEDICT-formatted source files. That is where the similarities end.
When it comes to Hanyu Pinyin dictionaries, one size does not fit all.
A dictionary in one context may be wholly inappropriate (or even illegal) in another.
Pinyinbase solves this problem by providing you complete control over dictionary entries to avoid uncomfortable, unsuitable, and (in some cases, illegal) content.
Pinyinbase is designed to:
- Provide complete control of what content is added to your custom pinyin dictionary.
- Run on NoSQL solutions, like Firebase, MongoDB, Cassandra and HBase.
- Empower parents, teachers or clergy to specify acceptable content.
- Help developers comply with local laws, regarding suitable content for audiences and jurisdictions.
- Facilitate responsive development changes with a simple build-from-source tool.
- Reconcile risk management priorities and limit exposure for your project or organization.
Google AdSense is considered family-safe and clearly defines prohibited content. When you use content from a "community-maintained" dictionary, you may be putting your revenue stream (and your brand) at risk. Pinyinbase lets you control exactly which entries you add to your online pinyin dictionary to keep your web site family-safe.
Good localization requires good understanding of local laws. Local limitations on free speech determine which content should be excluded from your custom pinyin dictionary. Pinyinbase makes it easy to eliminate entire categories of entries, reducing your risk profile in these markets.
Pinyinbase is powerful pinyin in your pocket dictionary. Extending your brand to feature phones in emerging markets is not possible with a giant database dump. You need a dictionary with the right words for the right user. Pinyinbase helps you to build a small but useful pinyin dictionary, optimized for markets where a mobile phone is the primary platform.
- Pinyinbase glossaries are CEDICT-formatted text files.
- This format is backwards-compatible with legacy software.
- CEDICT-formatted text files have wide library support across many languages.
- Familiar format reduces cognitive load for developers and end-users.
- Each glossary contains a domain-specific vocabulary list of entries.
- Each entry contains a Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Hanyu Pinyin, definition field.
- Learn more about CEDICT Syntax.
Building a Pinyinbase
- A Pinyinbase object is a JSON object.
- A Pinyinbase file is a single JSON file.
- A Pinyinbase is an array of Pinyinbase objects.
- A Pinyinbase object is the typical t-s-p-d representation of a dictionary entry that has been enhanced with metapinyin, which improves searchability and discovery.
- Use pinyinpod to build new customized Pinyinbases.
- Pinyinpod lets you add or remove the glossaries as needed.
- Add a file? Recompile.
- Edit a file? Recompile.
- Delete a file? No problem. Recompile.
- Basic Data
t: Traditional Chinese characters
s: Simplified Chinese characters
p: Hanyu Pinyin
pwithout spaces or tone numbers
psmash: the initial letters of each
phash: a string of unique letters, ordered by alpha
src: Pinyinbase source filename
dwith no spaces or punctuation
dbash: (not implemented)
dwith no spaces, punctuation or diacritics
Search Pinyinbase with GitHub
- GitHub provides a powerful code search tool.
- Looking for specific words? Try green tea.