CV of Peter Fisher BSc MBCS
- To become a PHP Certified Engineer
- Speak more at conferences and user groups
- To continue learning other web based languages and software design principles
- Write a book based on programming
Skills and assets
- A passion for testing, good practice and clean code
- Experience with submitting and reviewing pull requests, code reviews and using deployment pipelines
- Experience with PHP frameworks such as Symfony, Laravel, Zend, Lumen, Silex, Magento, WordPress and Drupal
- Experience with data storage and queueing systems such as MySQL, Postgres, DynamoDB, MongoDB, CouchDB, SQLlite, RabbitMQ and SQS
- Experience with PHP build and testing tools such as Composer, PHPStan, Codeception and PHPUnit
- Experience with Python frameworks such as Flask, Django and MicroPython
- Experience with devops tools including Docker, Linux, Jenkins, AWS, Travis, Netlify and Jenkins
- Experience with source control systems such as Git, and SVN
- Over a decade of professional web development experience (Almost 2 decades including study of the field)
- Teacher to online students (HowToCodeWell YouTube Channel)
2020 - 2021 | Contractor at Rawnet
PHP Contractor working on the Hornby Hobbies E-Commerce websites using Concrete 5, Symfony, Doctrine, Elastic Search, Docker, AWS, Magento and jQuery.
2019 - 2020 | Contractor at Torpedo Group
PHP Contractor and consultant working on legacy PHP projects using VueJS, Doctrine, Silex and Drupal.
2019 - 2020 | Contractor at Planet Wide City
PHP Contractor and consultant working on legacy PHP projects using Magento, jQuery Docker, Linux and VueJS. The role has been a mix of working on Magento shops, VueJS content management systems and custom APIs
2018 - 2021 | How To Code Well
Building the How To Code Well community sites using Symfony, GatsbyJS and React components React and Gatsby Components can be found on NPM
2016 - 2019 | Contractor at The E Cancer Global Foundation
PHP Contractor, programming teacher, Software architect
Architecting and developing a full rebuild of the e-cancer web platform including a CMS, API, website and e-learning system
The legacy platform was over 14 years old and running PHP 5.5. It was my job to upgrade this monolithic system to PHP 7.2 on a new AWS infrastructure. This also included a new frontend and API layer
During this time I was also building micro sites for the cancer research industry.
I also developed Docker images that were used to build local, test and production environments.
I also held classes that teach HTML to the marketing and e-learning departments.
2017 - 2018 | Contractor at FS4S (Financial Services For Schools)
Building the frontend website in Wordpress and working along side designers.
2016 - 2018 | Contractor at Kloc Digital Solutions
2016 - 2017 | Contractor at Agrantec
Helping the web team upgrade projects to Symfony 3
2012 - 2016 | Senior PHP Developer at Agrantec
Built sortedfood.com (Both frontend and API)
2010 - 2012 | Senior PHP Developer at Fasthosts
Writing Technical specifications and conducting project analysis for control panel development.
Acting as project lead for small to medium sized projects. Being a lesion for other departments such as the User Interface team and Quality Assurance team.
2008 - 2010 | Web Applications Developer at Redder
Lead programmer working with freelancers and other developers to create a video upload and private/public voting sites.
Helped organise freelancers to meet tight deadlines.
Using FFMPEG on a Centos/Plesk server to encode many different video formats to flv. Automated the validation of each video including duration and file size checks.
Migrated Redder CMS from CakePHP to Symfony
2007 - 2008 | Junior Developer at Redder
Building micro sites and e commerce web systems
|2020||PHP ZCE (Zend Certified Engineer)||On Going Study|
|2020||LPIC-1 (Linux Professional Certification)||On Going Study|
|2011||CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)||Passed Training Days|
|2010||7 Safe Ethical Hacking||Passed|
|2009||Well House Consultants The MySQL Relation Database||Passed|
|2009||Well House Consultants Object Oriented Programming (OOP) in PHP||Passed|
|2005 - 2007||University of Gloucestershire BSc in Ecommerce and Multimedia||Passed|
|2002 - 2004||Bath Spa University HND Business Information Technology||Passed|
|2000 - 2002||Chippenham College HNC Information Communication Technology||Passed|
Talks I have given at PHP South West
- Using a framework or Not - Given at PHP South West, PHP South Wales
- How to put your Docker image on a diet - Given at PHP South West
- Software Complexities - Given at PHP South West
Video course instructor
I have created video courses for Manning Publications and Packt Publishing
Podcast host at How To Code Well
Interviewing web developers and industry leaders on a video and audio podcast
Hobby's and interests
- Running, cycling and weight lifting
- Speaking at PHP user groups
- Mentoring and teaching others