CV of Peter Fisher BSc MBCS
- To continue learning other web based languages and software design principles
- Speak at conferences
- Write a book based on programming
Skills and assets
- A passion for testing, good practice and clean code
- Experience with PHP frameworks such as Symfony, Laravel and Zend
- Experience with PHP build and testing tools such as composer, PHPStan, Codeception and PHP Unit
- Experience with Python frameworks such as Django and Flask
- Experience with devops tools including Docker, Jenkins and AWS
- Experience in client sided frameworks and task runners such as WebPack, NPM and Gulp
- Experience with source control systems such as Git, and SVN
- Fluent Linux command line skills
- Over a decade of professional web development experience (Almost 2 decades including study of the field)
- Teacher to over 6000 online students (HowToCodeWell YouTube Channel)
2016 - Present | Contractor at The E Cancer Global Foundation
PHP Contractor, programming teacher, Software architect
Architecting and developing a full rebuild of the e-cancer web platform which includes a CMS, API, public facing website and e-learning system.
The legacy platform was over 14 years old and running PHP 5.5. It was my job to upgrade this monolithic system to PHP 7.2 on a new AWS infrastructure. This also included a new frontend and API layer
During this time I was also building micro sites for the cancer research industry. Most of these sites have been built using Concrete5 or Symfony.
I have also held classes that teach HTML to the marketing and e-learning departments.
2017 - 2018 | Contractor at FS4S (Financial Services For Schools)
Building the frontend website in Wordpress and working along side designers.
2016 - 2018 | Contractor at Kloc Digital Solutions
2016 - 2017 | Contractor at Agrantec
Helping the web team upgrade projects to Symfony 3
2012 - 2016 | Senior PHP Developer at Agrantec
Built sortedfood.com (Both frontend and API)
2010 - 2012 | Senior PHP Developer at Fasthosts
Writing Technical specifications and conducting project analysis for control panel development.
Acting as project lead for small to medium sized projects. Being a lesion for other departments such as the User Interface team and Quality Assurance team.
2008 - 2010 | Web Applications Developer at Redder
Lead programmer working with freelancers and other developers to create a video upload and private/public voting sites.
Helped organise freelancers to meet tight deadlines.
Using FFMPEG on a Centos/Plesk server to encode many different video formats to flv. Automated the validation of each video including duration and file size checks.
Migrated Redder CMS from CakePHP to Symfony
2007 - 2008 | Junior Developer at Redder
Building micro sites and e commerce web systems
|2011||CEH (Certified Ehtical Hacker) - Self Study|
|2011||LPIC-1 (Linux Professional Certification) - Self Study|
|2010||7 Safe Ethical Hacking|
|2009||Well House Consultants The MySQL Relation Database|
|2009||Well House Consultants OOP PHP|
|2005 - 2007||University of Gloucestshire BSc in Ecommerce and Multimedia|
|2002 - 2004||Bath Spa University HND Business Information Technology|
|2000 - 2002||Chippenham College Information Communication Technology|
Talks I have given at PHP South West
Video course instructor
Outside of YouTube I have created video courses for Manning Publications and Packt Publishing
- Hands-on Microservices in Python
- Python Clean Coding
Podcast host at How To Code Well
Interviewing web developers and industry leaders on a video and audio podcast
How To Code Well Video Courses
Hobby's and interests
- Running, cycling and weight lifting
- Speaking at PHP user groups
- Mentoring and teaching others