Dumping The Rom
Dumping a ROM from a Newton device you own.
Two methods are available: via a serial line or via TCP/IP (i.e. via an Ethernet access).
Hammer/Newtsbug (serial line)
Using a low-level debugger such as Hammer or Newtsbug, you can make a dump of the memory. This is slow and works over the serial line.
- A computer running a Mac OS version less than OS X, or the Classic environment
- Hammer or Newtsbug (they can be found on UNNA, http://www.unna.org/)
- A serial connection between your Newton and the Mac: – a built-in serial port for computers booting in Mac OS versions less than OS X – or a USB to Serial port adapter compatible with Classic.
- Install Debugger Connection or Newtsbug Connection package on your Newton.
- Plug the Newton with the Mac using the serial line.
- Run Hammer or Newtsbug on the Mac.
A standard open file dialog appears: choose the debugging image corresponding to your Newton (Senior CirrusNoDebug image, Senior DCirrusNoDebug image or Newt KNoDebug image for the MP2x00 US, MP2100 or eMate 300 respectively). ￼￼￼
- Tap the Debugger Connection or Newtsbug Connection package on your Newton and choose connect.
- On the Mac, once the connection is established, choose Save Memory from the File menu.
- Save memory between 0 and 00800000 (8 MB).
ROM Dumper (TCP/IP)
ROM Dumper is a faster approach but requires an internet connection between your Mac (or any Unix computer) and your Newton.
- A working TCP/IP or Internet connection between your Newton and your Mac.
- Install provided ROM Dumper package on your Newton.
- Tap the ROM Dumper icon in the Extras Drawer.
- Tap start.
- If your Newton isn’t connected to the Internet yet, choose a connection method. It’s also the time to insert your Ethernet/WiFi card.
- Note the IP of the Newton (ROM Dumper mentions it).
- Launch Einstein Platform (the GUI version).
- Choose Dump ROM from the Einstein menu.
- Type the IP address of your Newton.
- Click start.
- Specify where to save the Newton ROM. Be careful not to erase previously dumped ROM file if you are dumping the ROM of several different Newton models.
- Wait (a little bit).
The platform will be configured to use the newly dumped ROM.
Alternatively, you can use nc(1) command line tool.