A bookmarklet that, when clicked, pops up a dialog to search a library catalog. By default, the text filled in the dialog is based on the title of the web page. Thus, for instance, if I'm on the Wikipedia page for Bookmarklet and I click the LibSearch link in my bookmarks toolbar, the dialog will default to "Bookmarklet" and I can search for that term in a library catalog.
This code is inspired by and heavily reuses code written by Barbara Arnett and Valerie Forrestal from the Stevens Institute of Technology. I tried to improve upon it a bit, including
- Rather than stripping out only the generic Wikipedia title, I strip out Wikipedia, Google, Bing, Yahoo!, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble.
- Fail-safe in case the web page's hasn't loaded when the bookmarklet is clicked.
- A few measures to make the script injection slightly more error-proof.
- Change the search URL in search-bookmarklet.js to your own catalog
- Change the title if you like
- Make a better marketing page
- ...that's it.