freeCodeCamp JAMstack examples
4 - Generating the site from a content API
This repo holds one of a series of examples of JAMstack sites from a freeCodeCamp video. The video, "Introduction to JAMstack" is available to view for free on freeCodeCamp.
About this example
Here in the video, we begin to source news content from the News API feed, and use this in our generated site.
To work on this example locally, you can clone the repository and start editing, although there are a few pre-requisites:
# clone the repo git clone https://github.com/philhawksworth/fcc-4-build-with-api-data # move into the working directory and install dependencies cd fcc-4-build-with-api-data npm install # build and start the local development server npm start # just run the build npm run build
Clone and deploy
If you wanted to quickly clone this repository and deploy it as a new site on Netlify you can click the button below for a rapid start. This will give you a ready-made CI/CD pipeline linked to your git commits.
Watch the video
For a better understanding of what this example is and why it exists, you can jump directly into the video at the point we are discussing this example
Other code examples in this series
- Example 1 - All simply static
- Example 3 - Introducing a static site generator
- Example 4 - Generating pages from a content API (
👈you are here)
- Example 5 - Generating localized pages, with geo-IP routing at the CDN
- Example 6 - Client-side rendering targeted API content
More JAMstack resources to explore
- jamstack.org - More info and resources
- Official JAMstack slack - conversation about JAMstack and web development (come on in!)
- Modern Web Development on the JAMstack, O'reilly, 2019 - Book on building websites with the JAMstack. Available as a free e-book.