###Large File Splitter###
This is an application that will split a large text file into smaller files. This works great for splitting:
- comma separated values (csv) files
- log files
Sometimes you're dealing with a large text file that cannot load well in a text editor. This application will split the file into more files; as many as you like.
This application splits on rows or lines in the file. The original file isn't modified or deleted in any way.
####Running The Splitter App####
The only requirement: You'll need .NET Framework 4.5 installed on the machine.
The application will ask you for 2 pieces of information:
- the file to split (the source file)
- how many files you want (the target files)
You can pass these 2 values as arguments to the app from the command line.
You can run the console app directly in Windows, and it'll prompt you for the 2 arguments it'll need.
- if your input file doesn't exist, you'll be notified with a message like
Couldn't find that file. We're done here.
- if you enter a non-integer number(like
4.5, then the application will default to 2.
- any existing split files will be overwritten.
- the first line from the file will be pasted into the top of each new file. We're assuming here that this line contains column names for a CSV.
- the new files will have the same case as the args you enter. i.e.
0-foo.csv, even though the large file on disk is
Foo.CSV. This is due to the implementation of
FileInfoin the .NET Framework.
- if the source file is empty, then the split files won't be created.
- as usual, you'll need double quotes surrounding your source file when sending a file path with spaces.
- 300 MB csv file -> 4.3 sec.
- 600 MB csv file -> 8.6 sec.
- 1 GB csv file -> 61 sec.