Since phpMyAdmin's interface is based entirely in your browser, you'll need a web server (such as Apache, nginx, :term:`IIS`) to install phpMyAdmin's files into.
- You need PHP 5.5.0 or newer, with
sessionsupport, the Standard PHP Library (SPL) extension, JSON support, and the
- To support uploading of ZIP files, you need the PHP
- You need GD2 support in PHP to display inline thumbnails of JPEGs ("image/jpeg: inline") with their original aspect ratio.
- When using the cookie authentication (the default), the openssl extension is strongly suggested.
- To support upload progress bars, see :ref:`faq2_9`.
- To support XML and Open Document Spreadsheet importing, you need the libxml extension.
- To support reCAPTCHA on the login page, you need the openssl extension.
- To support displaying phpMyAdmin's latest version, you need to enable
allow_url_openin your :file:`php.ini` or to have the curl extension.
- Performance suggestion: install the
phpMyAdmin supports MySQL-compatible databases.
- MySQL 5.5 or newer
- MariaDB 5.5 or newer
You need browser which is supported by jQuery 2.0, see <https://jquery.com/browser-support/>.