The project started off with the master thesis Blended Shelf of Eike Kleinert at the human-computer interaction department at the University of Konstanz. The thesis evaluates a 3D bookshelf metaphor to visualize and interact with books and ebooks in a natural and appealing way and is part of the research project Blended Library. Convinced by the prototype's potential the Kommunikations-, Informations-, Medienzentrum (KIM) library service of the university of Konstanz started the hybrid bookshelf project funded by the MWK Baden-Württemberg. The software startup picibird which specialized in HCI won the contract and is developing the Hybrid Bookshelf and services around it.
Open Source Version##
To get access to demo data please contact: Clemens Elmlinger, BSZ - email@example.com
The commercial version builds upon the open source version and offers extended functionality and web services around it like:
- connect to other backends than LDU like Solr or EBSCO
- colorize the 3D books based on the book cover's primary colors using our cover image analyzing service
- take media information like availability or location on your smartphone using qr-codesn and our webservice bibshelf
- collect media and maintain lists on your smartphone or tablet on our webservice bibshelf
- share books and other media directly from the Hybrid Bookshelf via email
- a setup.exe with your configuration preloaded for easy installation and start up
To get more information or request a demo please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visual Studio Solution
- hbs - portable application base library
- hbs.wpf - wpf library containing basic abstract application, styles, etc.
- hbs.wpf.demo - wpf application implementation launching hbs with ldu opensource server configruation
- hbs.ldu - portable library to communicate with library data unifier (pazpar2 server)
- picibits.bib - portable base library
We host our own nuget server to distribute our picibits app development library. We aim to go open source with picibits in 2017. This project's src folder includes a nuget.config file so visual studio should automatically pick up our nuget server. If not apply http://nuget.picibits.com/api/v2/ manually.
- visual studio 2015 (uses .net 4.6 portable class libraries)
- nuget 3.0 or later
- blend sdk 4
- set hbs.wpf.demo as startup project
Copyright (c) 2016 picibird GmbH All rights reserved.
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.