Pika is a pure-Python implementation of the AMQP 0-9-1 protocol that tries to stay fairly independent of the underlying network support library.
Currently supports Python 2.6 and Python 2.7 only. 3.2+ support planned.
Since threads aren't appropriate to every situation, it doesn't require threads. It takes care not to forbid them, either. The same goes for greenlets, callbacks, continuations and generators. It is not necessarily thread-safe however, and your milage will vary.
People may be using direct sockets,
asyncore, plain old
select(), or any of the wide variety of ways of getting network events to and from a python application. Pika tries to stay compatible with all of these, and to make adapting it to a new environment as simple as possible.
Pika's documentation is now at https://pika.readthedocs.org
Here is the most simple example of use, sending a message with the BlockingConnection adapter:
import pika connection = pika.BlockingConnection() channel = connection.channel() channel.basic_publish(exchange='example', routing_key='test', body='Test Message') connection.close()
And an example of writing a blocking consumer:
import pika connection = pika.BlockingConnection() channel = connection.channel() for method_frame, properties, body in channel.consume('test'): # Display the message parts and ack the message print method_frame, properties, body channel.basic_ack(method_frame.delivery_tag) # Escape out of the loop after 10 messages if method_frame.delivery_tag == 10: break # Cancel the consumer and return any pending messages requeued_messages = channel.cancel() print 'Requeued %i messages' % requeued_messages connection.close()
- AsyncoreConnection - based off the standard Python library asyncore
- BlockingConnection - enables blocking, synchronous operation on top of library for simple uses
- SelectConnection - fast asynchronous adapter
- TwistedConnection - adapter for use with the Twisted asynchronous package http://twistedmatrix.com/
- TornadoConnection - adapter for use with the Tornado IO Loop http://tornadoweb.org
- LibevConnection - adapter for use with the libev event loop http://libev.schmorp.de
Pika is licensed under the MPLv2. If you have any questions regarding licensing, please contact the RabbitMQ team at email@example.com.