Pi MusicBox is the Swiss Army Knife of streaming music on the Raspberry Pi. With Pi MusicBox, you can create a cheap (Sonos-like) standalone streaming music player for Spotify and other online music services.
This project is outdated and requires more work than I am currently prepared to invest. If you are interested in becoming the maintainer then please get in touch.
- Headless audio player based on Mopidy. Just connect your speakers or headphones - no need for a monitor.
- Quick and easy setup with no Linux knowledge required.
- Stream music from Spotify, SoundCloud, Google Music and YouTube.
- Listen to podcasts (with iTunes and Podder directories) as well as online radio (TuneIn, Dirble and Soma FM).
- Play MP3/OGG/FLAC/AAC music from your SD card, USB drives and network shares.
- Remote controllable with a choice of browser-interfaces or with an MPD-client (e.g. MPDroid for Android).
- AirTunes/AirPlay and DLNA streaming from your smartphone, tablet or computer.
- Support for all kinds of USB, HifiBerry and IQ Audio soundcards.
- Wi-Fi support (WPA, Raspbian supported Wi-Fi adapters only)
- Last.fm scrobbling.
- Spotify Connect support.
Please note that Pi MusicBox does NOT currently support the Raspberry Pi 4.
- Download the latest release.
- Write the image to your SD card. See here for details.
- Customise the /boot/config/settings.ini file.
- Boot your Raspberry Pi and wait for PiMusicbox to start.
- Finish configuring the system using the web settings.
Creating an image
If you want to build an image from source, note that the current v0.7 image is an incremental update of v0.6 and can be generated as follows:
# 1. Install prerequisite packages (probably not an exhaustive list, sorry....) sudo apt-get install git coreutils e2fsprogs zerofree util-linux qemu-user-static latexmk python-sphinx # 2. Download and unzip very latest project source files (use master.zip for current release) wget https://github.com/pimusicbox/pimusicbox/archive/develop.zip unzip develop.zip && mv pimusicbox-develop src # 3. Download and unzip base v0.6 image wget https://github.com/pimusicbox/pimusicbox/releases/download/v0.6.0/pimusicbox-0.6.0.zip unzip pimusicbox-0.6.0.zip && mv musicbox0.6.img musicbox.img # 4. Enlarge image so there is free space to work in ./src/makeimage.sh musicbox.img bigger # 5. Run update script within base image (requires sudo). ./src/chroot.sh musicbox.img create_musicbox0.7.sh # 6. Go have a cup of tea/coffee while you wait... # 7. Shrink the image and other finishing touches ./src/makeimage.sh musicbox.img finalise
- Discussion forum
- Source code
- Issue tracker
- Twitter: @PiMusicBox
- Facebook: raspberrypimusicbox
Copyright 2013-2020 Wouter van Wijk and contributors.
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0. See the file LICENSE for the full license text.