Polar is a simple, fast and powerful way to manage user permissions/groups. It uses simple DSL to define all the available permissions within a system.
Add the following line to your Gemfile and run
gem 'polar', :git => 'http://github.com/alluniq/polar.git'
Polar.define :permissions do |pe| pe.edit_profile do |c| c.allow :users_controller, :only => [:edit, :update] end pe.manage_addresses do |gz| gz.allow :addresses_controller end end
Setting default permissions/groups
class User < ActiveRecord::Base default :permissions do |p| p.edit_profile p.manage_addresses end default :groups do |g| g.administrators end end
Below the code definition to accompany the settings from User model. That should resist somewhere in your initializers folder.
@user = User.first # Check if user has specific permission @user.can?(:edit_profile) # Check if user belongs to specific group @user.member_of?(:administrators)
Note on Patches/Pull Requests
- Fork the project.
- Make your feature addition or bug fix.
- Add tests for it. This is important so I don't break it in a future version unintentionally.
- Commit, do not mess with rakefile, version, or history. (if you want to have your own version, that is fine but bump version in a commit by itself I can ignore when I pull)
- Send me a pull request. Bonus points for topic branches.
- Grzegorz Kazulak firstname.lastname@example.org