v r 3 Press Kit
Download v r 3
- Developer: Pippin Barr
- Release: 29th of March, 2017
- Platform: Mac OS X and Windows
- Code repository: https://www.github.com/pippinbarr/v-r-3/
- Price: $0.00
Water! Water! Everywhere! All kinds! Best Water! Decent Water! Realistic Water! Manga Water! Mobile Water! Magic Water! But not a drop to drink!
v r 3 came about thanks to a student project during a class at Concordia University. A student had used Unity's free "professional water" shader to display water in their game and during a conversation we both admired the impressive reflections and generally "high tech" feeling of the water. When I found out the water was literally referred to in the engine as "pro water" I found this too funny not to base a game around.
As part of the Speculative Play project I'm a part of I became interested in the idea of a game which is entirely about tech fetishism. Water is perhaps the archetypal technology we use to assess how "good" a game engine or game is in terms of realism, a kind of benchmark. I liked the idea of a speculative future in which, rather than playing a game with water in it, people would choose to simply contemplate the water itself as an activity. Thus v r 3 represents a museum/gallery experience where the audience pays attention to water.
There's a huge amount to say about this, but the story is really told in the blog posts I've written about the game, linked below.
v r 3 was made in Unity.
v r 3 is an open source game licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. You are looking at the code (and process and press) repository right now. Note that all third-party water purchased and/or downloaded from the Unity Asset Store used in the game has been removed from the repository.
- More water!
- Another water!
- Care for some water?!
- chiconuclear, v r 3: El museo del agua. Anait Games, 30 March 2017.
- Pierre Corbinais, v r 3. L'Oujevipo, 30 March 2017.
- Jack de Quidt, Swim Through a Museum of Water in Pippin Barr's 'v r 3'. Waypoint, 31 March 2017.
- Boomsai, v r 3 es lo nuevo de Pippin Barr, un museo de agua virtual. Boomsai, 1 April 2017
- Philippa Warr, v r 3: Pippin Barr’s exhibition of digital water. Rock, Paper, Shotgun, 3 April 2017.
- Allison Meier, Explore a Virtual Museum of Digital Water. Hyperallergic, 11 April 2017.
- Matteo Bittanti, Art Game: Pippin Barr's V R 3. Gamescenes, 12 April 2017.
- Julia Buntaine, REVIEW: "v r 3," a virtual museum of water art. SciArt Magazine, 14 April 2017.
- Centro de Cultura Digital, The Wrong, la tercera edición de la bienal de arte digital. Centro de Cultura Digital Website, 14 November 2017.
- Pippin Barr: everything.