This is a simple XBlock which will allows one to tag problems with concepts. To be useful, it requires a concept server. There is one in the matching concept-tag-server repo.
In the bottom left, you can search for learning objectives, and drag them into one of the top three bins. The bins are:
- Taught: For concepts which the item introduces. For example, a video explaining the quadaratic equation would be tagged as teach the quadratic equation. Perhaps should be renamed to 'introduced'?
- Exercised: For concepts which the problem is explicitly designed to practice. For example, "Solve 5x^2+6x=7" would exercise the quadratic equation.
- Required: For concepts implicitly required. For example, a physics problem on the path of a rocket might have the quadratic equation as a prerequisite, but not be explictly designed to exercise it.
The edit button is a link back to the concept tag server, where we can edit concept descriptions.
The system has a few serious issues:
- Performance. This is trivial to fix, but the system currently makes an AJAX request per objective on the page. Bulk requests would solve this.
- 500 errors when e.g. a concept is not on the concept server.
- No test cases.
- Shown as a student (rather than instructor) view. This is a Studio limitation.
- Lack of configurability. It works on my taxonomy (taught/exercised/required), and not yours.
- Horrific styling. In desperate need of a cleanup.
It does have a few nice properties:
- Continues to develop edX-as-a-platform, rather than edX-as-a-product.
- Natural path (via concept wiki) to coming up with a concept taxonomy. Next steps will be to split and join objectives.
- Natural extension to other wise of tagging objectives (e.g. Bloom's taxonomy, etc.)