Booksonic Legacy Server
OBS: This server is discontinued and has been replaced by Booksonic Air
What is Booksonic?
Booksonic is a platform for accessing the audibooks you own wherever you are. At the moment the platform consists of
- Booksonic Air - A server for streaming your audiobooks, successor to the original Booksonic server. Based on Airsonic.
- Booksonic App - An android app for connection to Booksonic servers. Based on DSub
- Booksonic Bridge - This is an upcoming serverside software that will allow you to use third party servers like Plex, Emby, Youtube etc. It is currently in closed beta and no timeframe is given.
- Booksonic ODM2Meta - A script for quickly converting your ODM files to metadata that can be used by Booksonic. In the future this will not be needed as Booksonic will soon support ODM files natively.
- Bulk convert UTF8 - A script for bulk conversion of meta files to UTF-8
- Booksonic Library Editor - A third party Library editor
While there is no iOS app available (yet) Booksonic fully supports the Subsonic API so you will be able to use it with any app that supports that, you will miss out on some Booksonic specific features but you will be able to listen without problem.
More information about the project can be found at booksonic.org
What is Booksonic Legacy Server?
First of all, credit where credit is due, Booksonic Legacy Server is not built from scratch, instead it is building on top of the amazing work done by Sindre over at Subsonic .
Now then, Booksonic Legacy Server is the original server for hosting the audiobooks you own and reach them from wherever you are. Perfect for those boring bus rides!
It is designed to handle very large collections (hundreds of gigabytes). Although optimized for MP3 streaming, it works for any audio or video format that can stream over HTTP, for instance AAC and OGG. By using transcoder plug-ins, Booksonic supports on-the-fly conversion and streaming of virtually any audio format, including WMA, FLAC, APE, Musepack, WavPack and Shorten.
If you have constrained bandwidth, you may set an upper limit for the bitrate of the streams. Booksonic will then automatically resample to a suitable bitrate.
Based on Java technology, Booksonic runs on most platforms, including Windows, Mac, Linux and Unix variants.
Booksonic Legacy Server is free software and licensed under the GNU General Public License version 3.
All Booksonic downloads can be found at https://booksonic.org/download
All pull requests are welcome to any of the Booksonic projects
If you have any questions or ideas, come visit us at /r/booksonic over on Reddit