IoT Gateway concept from BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) devices to Azure (Event Hubs)
This concept is a demo I used for a session at MEC Internet of Things Conference 2015 in Naples. It shows how to build a simple IoT Gateway from BLE devices to Azure using :
FEZ Spider by GHI Electronics
Netduino 3 Wi-Fi by Secret Labs
- TI Sensor Tag : provides temperature, humidity, accelerometer and other useful information
- STM32 Nucleo Board (with BLE shield) : using a firmware that emulates a standard BLE HRM (Heart Rate Monitoring) device
Projects inside the ble2azure solution :
- IoTClient : class that contains the logic to acquire data from the BLE device and sends them to the Azure Event Hubs. It contains a base client for TI Sensor Tag, a Health client for STM32 and a ConnectTheDots client (it's like tha base client but sends information in JSON format useful to the ConnectTheDots project).
- FEZSpiderToEventHub : IoT gateway .Net Gadgeteer based project (.Net Micro Framework) with a FEZ Spider board with BLE module by Innovactive(Lorenzo Maiorfi) for acquiring data and sending them to Azure Event Hubs using the IoTClient.
- **NetduinoToEventHub : IoT gateway based on Netduino 3 Wi-Fi (.Net Micro Framework) with same BLE module as above for acquiring data and sending them to Azure Event Hubs using the IoTClient.
- FEZSpiderMonitor : Windows Forms application that acquires data from Event Hubs (data sent by the gateway) using Event Hub Processor and uses Telerik chart controls to show them.
- FEZSpiderEventHubProcessor : simple console application that used an Event Hub Processor to acquire data from Event Hubs (data sent by the gateway). It's like the previous monitor but without a UI.
- FEZSpiderEmulToEventHub : console application for emulating the real board IoT gateway (useful for testing and sending data from a PC)
Other projects needed for this solution :
- Azure SB Lite : library for connecting to the Azure Service Bus services (Queues, Topics/Subscriptions and Event Hubs) using AMQP protocol. It's based on AMQP .Net Lite library
- BLE for .Net MF : BLE Class Library for BLE (aka Bluetooth Low Energy, aka Bluetooth 4.0) support targeted to .NET Micro Framework
- JSON.NetMF : library for parsing JSON