Repo/user recommendation engine on basis of user's GitHub profile.
Running it on the local machine
$ #git clone the directory in your favorite folder $ cd gitator $ bundle $ CLIENT_ID=asdf CLIENT_SECRET=qwert bundle exec rackup -p9393
If every thing goes fine, localhost:9393 will now be hosting gitator locally on your machine.
Currently, it is in a very naive phase, and there is a scope of huge improvement. A few ideas which come across my mind are:
- Using the 'following' data (people who the user follows) to understand user's taste and give suggestions on basis of that.
- Reducing the number of API calls (using something like Redis and GitHub conditional API requests).
- Using much more smarter keyword extraction tool from the phrase built from user's profile.
I would be more than happy to know any kind of suggestions which could improve the model further.
As I said, there is a lot of scope of improvement, both from an angle of design as well as implementation.
Any kind of contribution (through a pull-request), small or big, is whole heartedly welcome.
- Thanks to mdo/github-buttons from which github buttons CSS is copied. (I would directly use the iframe but that would have incurred an API call)
- Thanks to ashleyw/phrasie which i have used as a gem for keyword extraction from a phrase.
- Finally, to octokit/octokit.rb which is written so cleanly and beautifully.