This is a graphical front end designed to store and present the profiling information provided by the Facebook created XHProf profiling tool.
- XHGui - Uses MongoDB as a backend (rather than MySQL)
- It includes a header.php document you can use with PHP's auto_prepend_file directive. It sets up profiling by initilizing a few variables, and settting register_shutdown_function with the footer. Once started profiles are done when requested (?_profile=1), or randomly. Profiled pages display a link to their profile results at the bottom of the page (this can be disabled on a blacklist based for specific documents. e.g. pages generating XML, images, etc.).
- For tips on including header.php on an nginx + php-fpm install take a look at: http://www.justincarmony.com/blog/2012/04/23/php-fpm-nginx-php_value-and-multiple-values/
- The GUI is a bit prettier (Thanks to Graham Slater)
- It uses a MySQL backend, the database schema is stored in xhprof_runs.php
- There's a frontend to view different runs, compare runs to the same url, etc.
- Listing 25, 50 most recent runs
- Display most expensive (cpu), longest running, or highest memory usage runs for the day
- It introduces the concept of "Similar" URLs. Consider:
- Highcharts is used to graph stats over requests for an easy heads up display.
Besides a simple PHP running on your favourite web server you will also need following packages:
- graphviz (uses
dotto generate callgraphs)
- Install your favourite mix of PHP and web server
- Install MySQL server
- Clone the project to some folder
- Map the sub folder
xhprof_htmlto be accessible over HTTP
- Update the SQL server configuration
- Update the URL of the service (should point to
- Update the
dot_binaryconfiguration - otherwise no call graphs!
- Update the
controlIPsvariable to enable access.
- For a development machine you can set this to
falseto disable IP checks.
- Import the DB schema (it is just 1 table)
- See the SQL at xhprof_runs.php
- Add a PHP configuration to enable the profiling
- If using Apache you can edit your virtual host configuration
php_admin_value auto_prepend_file "/path/to/xhprof/external/header.php"
- Visit http://your-server/xhprof/xhprof_html/ and be amazed!
- To get profiler information showing up there visit your page with a
- For example
We Are Working On
- The aggregation functionality is ignored completely
- The code is... a mess. Deadlines do that to you, we're working on it
- The default table schema isn't indexed all the places it needs to be
- Easier ways to diff URLs