Pressbooks is a book content management system which produces multiple formats: ebooks, webbooks, print-ready PDF, and various XML flavours. Pressbooks is built on top of WordPress Multisite, and makes significant changes to:
- admin interface (customized for books and other structured documents, such as magazines, journals, reports, etc.);
- web presentation layer (again, customized for books and structured documents); and
- export routines.
Pressbooks is free software, released under the GPL v3.0 or later license.
Our web/ebook and PDF exports are all driven by HTML + CSS. XML outputs have no styling.
- Do NOT use Pressbooks with an existing WordPress site.
- Please use with a FRESH install of WP MULTISITE.
- If this makes you nervous, please use our free site: Pressbooks, or contact us.
While Pressbooks is open source, we recommend you try Pressbooks.com before deciding whether or not you wish to host and maintain your own instance. We can also host and maintain an instance for you.
Installing the Plugin
Pressbooks is not for use on an existing blog. Instead it should be used with a fresh, multisite WordPress install.
Pressbooks works with PHP 7.0 and WordPress 4.9.7. Lower versions are not supported.
The Pressbooks plugin is supplied "as is" and all use is at your own risk.