A bare-bones Rails 4 project for hands-on technical interviews. Opinionated in the gems and setup to be focused on business problems rather than boilerplate and/or seutp.
Project Overview, Basics
- SQLite3 for DB
- RSpec for testing
- Supports standard views (Slim) and JSON reponses (responders gem)
- Single REST resource setup for just GET with JSON reponse
- Single model and basic seed to get started.
- Boostrap 4 Rails
Gems installed for use
- FactoryGirl for factories if necc.
- Database cleaner to cleanup after tests
- Faker for making quick fake data/models
- Pry for object inspection and debugging
- Timecop for time based testing
- Checkout this code.
- db create, migrate, seed
bundle exec rspec
Open 'http://localhost:3000/' on your browser and a simple web page with 'Chuck's Dashboard' should appear.
In some cases, challenges are installed using Bundler and a secret gist or copy/paste from a gist.
gem 'name_of_gem', git: 'https://gist.github.com/<user>/<this ID>.git'
Manual fact generation
Using the Faker gem.
require 'csv' CSV.open("/tmp/chuck_norris_facts.csv", "wb") do |csv| csv << ["fact"] 100.times do csv << [Faker::ChuckNorris.fact] end end