Laptop is a script to set up an OS X laptop for Rails development.
Older versions may work but aren't regularly tested. Bug reports for older versions are welcome.
Read, then run the script:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thoughtbot/laptop/master/mac) 2>&1 | tee ~/laptop.log
Your last Laptop run will be saved to
~/laptop.log. Read through it to see if
you can debug the issue yourself. If not, copy the lines where the script
failed into a new GitHub
Issue for us. Or, attach the
whole log file as an attachment.
What it sets up
- Bundler for managing Ruby libraries
- Exuberant Ctags for indexing files for vim tab completion
- Foreman for serving Rails apps locally
- gh for interacting with the GitHub API
- Heroku Config for local
- Heroku Toolbelt for interacting with the Heroku API
- Homebrew for managing operating system libraries
- ImageMagick for cropping and resizing images
- NVM for managing versions of Node.js
- Parity for development, staging, and production parity
- Postgres for storing relational data
- Rails gem for writing web applications
- Rbenv for managing versions of Ruby
- Redis for storing key-value data
- Ruby Build for installing Rubies
- Ruby stable for writing general-purpose code
- The Silver Searcher for finding things in files
- Tmux for saving project state and switching between projects
- Watch for periodically executing a program and displaying the output
- Zsh as your shell
It should take less than 15 minutes to install (depends on your machine).
Laptop can be run multiple times on the same machine safely. It will upgrade already installed packages and install and activate a new version of ruby (if one is available).
Make your own customizations
Put your customizations in
~/.laptop.local. For example, your
~/.laptop.local might look like this:
#!/bin/sh brew tap caskroom/cask brew install brew-cask brew cask install dropbox brew cask install google-chrome brew cask install rdio
You should write your customizations such that they can be run safely more than
once. See the
mac script for examples.
Laptop is maintained and funded by thoughtbot, inc. The names and logos for thoughtbot are trademarks of thoughtbot, inc.
Thank you, contributors!
Laptop is © 2011-2014 thoughtbot, inc. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.