Getting to know Colophon
What is Colophon?
Colophon is a set of open source tools that enables teams to catalogue their software projects, and act as a single source of truth for all non-technical data!
Usually within large teams, hundreds of software repositories exist, where information get lost frequently.
information such as:
- Ownership (Department, Teams, Individuals, ...)
- Schedules (Launch, Sunset, ...)
- Environments (Production & Staging, Databases, Reporting, ...)
- External References (Issue Tracking Board, Wikis, Cost Sheets, Roadmaps, ...)
What are some of the use cases for using Colophon?
- Quickly scan through repositories for human readable and business information beyond code
- Create reports on project health and ownership
- Codify business & operational concerns that are typically undocumented
- Timelines and scheduled operations around the project (e.g. sunset date)
- external references to the project (e.g. kanban board, budget)
- Use in CI/CD tooling to annotate your artefacts / notify owners
- Correlation of application instances and source code through exposing the project's
idvalue in HTTP Headers / HTML Meta