Fast and customisable vulnerability scanner based on simple YAML based DSL.
Nuclei is used to send requests across targets based on a template, leading to zero false positives and providing fast scanning on a large number of hosts. Nuclei offers scanning for a variety of protocols, including TCP, DNS, HTTP, SSL, File, Whois, Websocket, Headless, Code etc. With powerful and flexible templating, Nuclei can be used to model all kinds of security checks.
We have a dedicated repository that houses various type of vulnerability templates contributed by more than 300 security researchers and engineers.
How it works
|This project is in active development. Expect breaking changes with releases. Review the release changelog before updating.|
|This project was primarily built to be used as a standalone CLI tool. Running nuclei as a service may pose security risks. It's recommended to use with caution and additional security measures.|
Nuclei requires go1.21 to install successfully. Run the following command to install the latest version -
go install -v github.com/projectdiscovery/nuclei/v3/cmd/nuclei@latest
brew install nuclei
docker pull projectdiscovery/nuclei:latest
More installation methods can be found here.
Nuclei has built-in support for automatic template download/update as default since version v2.5.2. Nuclei-Templates project provides a community-contributed list of ready-to-use templates that is constantly updated.
You may still use the
The YAML DSL reference syntax is available here.
This will display help for the tool. Here are all the switches it supports.
Scanning target domain with community-curated nuclei templates.
nuclei -u https://example.com
Scanning target URLs with community-curated nuclei templates.
nuclei -list urls.txt
http://example.com http://app.example.com http://test.example.com http://uat.example.com
More detailed examples of running nuclei can be found here.
For Security Engineers
Nuclei offers great number of features that are helpful for security engineers to customise workflow in their organization. With the varieties of scan capabilities (like DNS, HTTP, TCP), security engineers can easily create their suite of custom checks with Nuclei.
- Varieties of protocols supported: TCP, DNS, HTTP, File, etc
- Achieve complex vulnerability steps with workflows and dynamic requests.
- Easy to integrate into CI/CD, designed to be easily integrated into regression cycle to actively check the fix and re-appearance of vulnerability.
For Bug Bounty hunters:
Nuclei allows you to customise your testing approach with your own suite of checks and easily run across your bug bounty programs. Moreover, Nuclei can be easily integrated into any continuous scanning workflow.
For Penetration Testers:
Nuclei immensely improve how you approach security assessment by augmenting the manual, repetitive processes. Consultancies are already converting their manual assessment steps with Nuclei, it allows them to run set of their custom assessment approach across thousands of hosts in an automated manner.
Pen-testers get the full power of our public templates and customization capabilities to speed up their assessment process, and specifically with the regression cycle where you can easily verify the fix.
For Developers and Organizations
Nuclei is built with simplicity in mind, with the community backed templates by hundreds of security researchers, it allows you to stay updated with the latest security threats using continuous Nuclei scanning on the hosts. It is designed to be easily integrated into regression tests cycle, to verify the fixes and eliminate vulnerabilities from occurring in the future.
- CI/CD: Engineers are already utilising Nuclei within their CI/CD pipeline, it allows them to constantly monitor their staging and production environments with customised templates.
- Continuous Regression Cycle: With Nuclei, you can create your custom template on every new identified vulnerability and put into Nuclei engine to eliminate in the continuous regression cycle.
We have a discussion thread around this, there are already some bug bounty programs giving incentives to hackers on writing nuclei templates with every submission, that helps them to eliminate the vulnerability across all their assets, as well as to eliminate future risk in reappearing on productions. If you're interested in implementing it in your organization, feel free to reach out to us. We will be more than happy to help you in the getting started process, or you can also post into the discussion thread for any help.
Using Nuclei From Go Code
Complete guide of using Nuclei as Library/SDK is available at godoc
- Finding bugs with Nuclei with PinkDraconian (Robbe Van Roey) by @PinkDraconian
- Nuclei: Packing a Punch with Vulnerability Scanning by Bishopfox
- The WAF efficacy framework by Fastly
- Scanning Live Web Applications with Nuclei in CI/CD Pipeline by @TristanKalos
- Community Powered Scanning with Nuclei
- Nuclei Unleashed - Quickly write complex exploits
- Nuclei - Fuzz all the things
- Nuclei + Interactsh Integration for Automating OOB Testing
- Weaponizes nuclei Workflows to Pwn All the Things by @dwisiswant0
- How to Scan Continuously with Nuclei? by @dwisiswant0
- Hack with Automation !!! by @DhiyaneshGeek
Thanks to all the amazing community contributors for sending PRs and keeping this project updated. ❤️
If you have an idea or some kind of improvement, you are welcome to contribute and participate in the Project, feel free to send your PR.
Do also check out the below similar open-source projects that may fit in your workflow:
Nuclei is distributed under MIT License