MAJOR version number changes express full systemic changes that include formatting differences; they require not just retraining but perhaps recoding. There are only three:
- 1.x The "Verbs" era: Propbank 1 releases in which everything is a verb by default (no encoding of POS).
- 2.x Part-of-Speech separation era: Frame files have a -n, -j, or -v suffix which encodes their part of speech.
- 3.x Unification era: Frame files have "unified" rolesets representing multiple lemmas, and "alias" fields which encode those lemmas and their parts of speech.
Propbank 2.0 (Ontonotes/BOLT)
Within 2.0, we had many many different releases of frames.
- 2.0 Anything released before Ontonotes
- 2.1 Ontonotes propbank annotation
- Ontonotes versions 1,2,3,4,5 are therefore (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3, 2.1.4, and 2.1.5)
- for reference: AMR Phase 1 was annotated using the verbal frames in 2.1.4.
- 2.2. BOLT annotation
- 2.2.1 BOLT DF 1 release
- 2.2.2 BOLT DF 2 release ...
- 2.2.8 BOLT SMS 1 release
- 2.2.9 BOLT SMS 2 release
Propbank 3.0 (Unification)
Around the release of BOLT SMS 2, we started the giant overhaul into "Unification" frames.
- 3.0 Everything before the big Ontonotes re-release
- AMR Phase 2 is now in line with Propbank 3.0.
- 3.1 Ontonotes unified release.
- After 3.1, PATCH releases will simply add frames or arguments, and MINOR releases will add or change arguments.