West of House You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. You could circle the house to the north or south. There is a small mailbox here. >
Some of my most memorable early gaming experiences were playing Infocom interactive fiction games.
This project is a labor of love. I'll start with z-machine v3 and see where it goes...
- Plays V3, V5, V7, and V8 games (see "Limitations" below)
- Supports loading raw game files (.z3, .z5, .z8, etc)
- Supports loading .zblorb files, but only uses the game file from the package at this time.
- Separates the UI implementation from the core interpreter functions, providing extensibility to virtually any platform that Dart runs on (currently Mac, Linux, Windows, and Web).
Some games, especially ones compiled with older version of Inform, may not work properly. Trial and error is the only way to know.
The older Infocom games (V3 & V5) appear to work fine.
Games compiled with the latest Inform 7 appear to work fine.
There is a web-based version (Chrome or Dartium only, for now):
- Bug fixes, optimization, enhancements to some op codes.
- Add in some detection to warn if the game file may not be playable.
- Improve the web interpreter (not included with this library) to support split screening, cursor positioning, etc.
- Z-Machine Spec: http://www.gnelson.demon.co.uk/zspec/index.html
Source Code: Apache 2.0 (see LICENSE file)
Game files include are covered under their own applicable copyrights and licensing.