BookmarksBase is a tool that allows for searching in your bookmarks including entire contents of web sites, addresses and titles.
Currently supports only Firefox
How to start?
- Download the current release: Download link
BookmarksBase.Importer. It reads all your bookmarks, downloads clean text from the bookmarked websites and stores in current folder SQLite database file.
- Please note, that some anti-virus software may consider the importer as suspicious. It opens many connections in parallel to download web sites, which is quite unusual. I personally added whole folder to Windows Defender exceptions.
- Enjoy using
BookmarksBase.Search.exe. It supports regular expressions and searches in the indexed web page contents. Type
help:to view some extra features.
1. Instructions for the user
In application package you get:
BookmarksBase.Importer.exe— First run this tool to generate database of bookmarks along with their contents.
BookmarksBase.Search.exe— Main application intended for searching. It searches through text from bookmarked websites
When application starts, searching box is already focused. Start typing the text and press Enter
You can use TAB to switch between search box and results list
You can move up and down using keyboard when results list is focused
Search is case insensitive and a text you enter is compiled as a regular expression
If you wish to express any number of any characters use
Double click on results list item opens it in a web browser
Enter while focused on results list also opens selected item in a web browser
2. Source code structure
BookmarksBase.Search— WPF application to perform searches
BookmarksBase.Importer— Command line utility to import bookmarks from web browser and pull text from web pages
BookmarksBase.Storage— DLL library with the implementation of the search as well as i/o with database file
BookmarksBase.Exporter— Command line utility to export boomarks from SQLite database into MS SQL database. You probably will not need this.
3. Release notes
- All applications are compiled for .NET Framework version 4.7.1
- Currently only Firefox web browser is supported. Other implementations can easily be created by inheriting
BookmarksImporterclass (following open-closed principle)
- HTML parsing is done with Lynx and thus its binaries (included) are required to run the importer