IEU - Image Enhancing Utility
Uses net-vips library to split input images into tiles and then merge them after processing tiles with ESRGAN. Also supports alpha channels and various image formats (.dds, .tga etc).
Although app can detect model upscale size by running python script, it takes some time, so it is recommended to rename all your models so that filenames contain upscale size as in screenshot below.
Please, before using this tool ensure that you installed all python dependencies correctly and ESRGAN is working on it's own.
Full list of features
- Split images into tiles before processing them with ESRGAN and merge them afterwards with as little visible seams as possible
- Separate alpha layers from images and process them with the same model as original, or with another model
- Separate images into RGB channels
- Process seamless tiled textures while preserving seamlessness
- Ability to process images with multiple models at once with specific output mode (folder per image, folder per model)
- Few overwrite modes
- Preview feature similiar to Topaz AI Gigapixel one
- UI for quick model interpolation
- Filter images for split/merge with various rules
- Preprocess images (resize, reduce noise)
- Postprocess images (resize, set black/white treshold)
- Set image format for results
- .NET Framework 4.6.1
- ESRGAN (<-- yes, from this link)
- BasicSR if you wish to use it instead of ESRGAN
How to use
On first launch specify ESRGAN main directory path in Settings tab. You can also specify folders for input and output images. By default it will be "esrgan-path/IEU_input" and *"esrgan-path/IEU_output
Take your images and put them in "esrgan-path/IEU_input". You can do this manually or by drag'n'droping files/folders to application form. When ready click [SPLIT] button. Tiles will be created from input images in "esrgan-path/LR" directory. Tile resolution will be calculated from MaxTileResolution value (biggest possible). Each time old tiles will be deleted from folder. You always need to run [SPLIT] before ESRGAN, because it will convert images to png, put them in LR folder, separate alpha channels etc.
Check one or more models from the tree view, select preferred output mode (only two last modes are available if more than single model is selected). Click [RUN ESRGAN] button to start ESRGAN script.
When ESRGAN is finished, results will be in "results-path" folder, "results-path/models" or "results-path/images" folders, depending on which output mode you selected earlier.
To merge resulted tiles back click [MERGE] button.
Notice: Don't delete images from input directory before you finished working with them.
Maximum tile resolution
MaxTileResolution = TileWidth x TileHeight Currently, to find out how big MaxTileResolution you VRAM can handle you need to experiment. Default value is for 2Gb VGRAM.
When creating tiles, they will be overlapping between themselves by size in pixels specified by this value. The bigger value - more time to process tiles with ESRGAN. Improvement from setting this bigger than 16 is questionable.
Image format in which images will be written to disk on merge. If you check "Use original image format", output format will be the same as original image, but some setting (like compression factor, method) will be taken from Output format tab.
Ignore alpha channel
If checked, all alpha channels will be ignored during tiles creation and merge.
Use different model for alpha
If checked, selected model will be applied to all alphas when running ESRGAN.
Split RGB channels
If checked, images will be split into red, green and blue channels, so that ESRGAN will process each channel as separate image. Channels will be combined back in single image on merge, if this setting is enabled.
Split RGB channels
If checked, will treat all images as tiles textures and extend them over edges on Split and crop them back on Merge. This way textures will remain seamless after upscale.
Create max resolution tile in input folder
Creates blank black image with max TileWith and TileHeight. It's might be needed because if ESRGAN starts with small image and then tries to process bigger image it can run in out of memory error.
Delete results after merging
Deletes all of merged tiles in result folder after successfully merging image .
Useful when you are using tool other than ESRGAN and your processed image results have some suffix. Just check this option and write suffix in textbox before merging tiles.
Use various filters if you want to work only with particular images from input folder. For example you might crop/merge only images with "(wood)" in filename. Or you want to merge images without alpha as .png and the rest - as .tga etc.
Filters work only when cropping and merging! ESRGAN still process all files from LR directory.
- Results: esrgan-path/results/
- Merged results: merged-results-path/
Folder for each image
- Results: results-path/images/image-name/
- Merged results: IEU_output-path/images/image-name/
Folder for each model
- Results: results-path/models/model-name/
- Merged results: IEU_output-path/models/model-name/