Typo has been around since March 2005, making it one of the oldest blogging platforms based on Rails.
It provides every feature a modern blogging engine needs: powerful themes, extensions, smart user management, SEO capabilities and provides a great user experience for both site visitors and web developers. Typo is easy to install and even easier to use.
Typo is free software released under the MIT licence and maintained by a bunch of cool people in their spare time.
The current version is Typo 6.1.3 for Ruby on Rails 3.2.11.
Enhance your Typo blog
- Download Typo source code
- Report a bug
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Official Typo blog
- Follow us on Twitter
Get in touch
If you need help or want to contribute to Typo, you should start with the following:
- IRC: #typo on irc.freenode.net
- Mailing list
Installing Typo is trivial, provided you follow the steps.
To install Typo you need the following:
- Ruby 1.9.2 or 1.9.3. Typo may work with Ruby 1.8.7 with some minor tweakings, but this version is not supported anymore.
- Ruby On Rails 3.0.10
- A database engine, MySQL, PgSQL or SQLite3
- A FTP client, or even better SSH access to your hosting provider
2. Download Typo
3. Install Typo
- Unpack Typo archive into your web hosting space
- Rename database.yml.yourEngine to database.yml
- Edit database.yml to add your database name, login and password. If you have a doubt about this one, just ask your web hosting provider.
- Then run:
$ bundle install
$ rake db:create
$ ./script/rails server
You can now access Typo at http://yourdomain:3000
4. Daily Typo use
We recommend using Passenger (mod_rails) or Thin / Unicorn with Apache or Nginx.
The admin interface for Typo allows you to post articles and change configuration settings. It can be found at http://yourdomain.com/admin. New content can be posted using the admin interface or a desktop blog editor such as MarsEdit or Ecto.
This is a list of Typo maintainers. If you have committed, please add your name and contact details to the list.
The Cool Kids
Frédéric de Villamil <email@example.com>
Matijs van Zuijlen
Original Author: Tobias Luetke
The Typo team