Puppet on Windows
This module acts as a pack of the Puppet Forge's best Windows content. Installing puppetlabs-windows will install a variety of great modules from a diverse group of module authors, including Puppet. Many are contributed by our community, reviewed and recommended by Puppet as Puppet Approved modules. Several core modules are provided through our Puppet Supported program.
This guide assumes that you have downloaded and installed Puppet Enterprise on your Windows server and that you've connected its Puppet agent to a Puppet Enterprise master.
- Learn more on installing the Puppet Enterprise agent onto a Windows server.
- Don't have a PE master? Try the Learning Puppet VM for evaluation purposes.
Once installed, start by installing the windows module pack onto your PE master (like the Learning VM) by running
puppet module install puppetlabs-windows from the command-line. You should see the Puppet module tool installing multiple modules from the Puppet Forge. Learn more about installing modules.
Now, you can start using individual modules from this pack to solve a problem. To do this, you'll want to browse the documentation for an individual module listed below. Equipped with details on interacting with individual module capabilities, you may want to write your own module or directly assign work to your Windows machine from the Puppet Enterprise console.
The Puppet on Windows Pack
These are the modules available in the puppetlabs-windows pack. Full documentation for each module can be found by following links to individual module pages. By installing puppetlabs-windows, you will install recommended versions of the entire set of Puppet modules.
Take note that only the modules by Puppet are supported with Puppet Enterprise. The rest have been reviewed and recommended by Puppet but are not eligible for commercial support.
Use Puppet on Windows to:
- Enforce fine-grained access control permissions using puppetlabs-acl.
- Manage the installation of software/packages with puppetlabs-chocolatey.
- Manage Windows PowerShell DSC (Desired State Configuration) resources using puppetlabs-dsc.
- Interact with PowerShell through the Puppet DSL with puppetlabs-powershell.
- Reboot Windows as part of management as necessary through puppetlabs-reboot.
- Manage registry keys and values with puppetlabs-registry.
- Specify WSUS client configuration (Windows Server Update Service) with puppetlabs-wsus_client.
- Download files via puppet-download_file.
- Build IIS sites and virtual applications with puppet-iis.
- Create, edit, and remove environment variables with ease with puppet-windows_env.
- Add/remove Windows features with puppet-windowsfeature.
You can also create and manage Microsoft SQL including databases, users and grants with the puppetlabs-sqlserver module (for Puppet Enterprise customers, installed separately).
More from the Puppet Forge
You can find even more great modules by searching for windows. Here are a few examples from the Puppet community.
These modules are not part of this pack nor are they Puppet Approved or Puppet Supported. But, every Forge module now offers quality and community ratings to help you choose the best module for your need.