Swank-clojure is an adapter that lets you use SLIME (the Superior Lisp Interaction Mode for Emacs) with Clojure.
Install from ELPA using package.el.
Press M-x slime to start a new Clojure process. Press "y" when asked if you want to install Clojure.
Do you seriously need a third step? OK, if you want to use a newer version of Clojure than 1.0 you will need to build it yourself and symlink the compiled jar to ~/.swank-clojure/clojure-$VERSION.jar after removing the old version.
You can also start a Slime session for a given project:
This will prompt for a project dir and set up the classpath for that structure based on some existing Clojure conventions:
- src/, classes/, and test/ - added to the classpath
- lib/ - all .jars in here are added to the classpath
- src/main/clojure, src/test/, target/classes, target/dependency - added if pom.xml exists (maven-style)
You can embed swank in your project and connect via Emacs to an already-running instance. TODO: explain this.
- M-TAB: Autocomplete symbol at point
- C-x C-e: Eval the form under the point
- C-c C-k: Compile the current buffer
- M-.: Jump to the definition of a var
- C-c S-i: Inspect a value
- C-c C-m: Macroexpand the call under the point
- C-c C-d C-d: Look up documentation for a var
- C-c C-z: Switch to the repl buffer
Keeping Common Lisp
If you want to use SLIME with Common Lisp or another Lisp implementation, add this to your Emacs config:
(add-to-list 'slime-lisp-implementations '(sbcl ("sbcl")))
Then launch Slime with M-- M-x slime $LISP instead of just M-x slime.
The mailing list is at http://groups.google.com/group/swank-clojure and the author can often be contacted in #clojure on Freenode. Contributions are preferred as either Github pull requests or using "git format-patch".
Copyright (C) 2008-2009 Jeffrey Chu, Phil Hagelberg
This file is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License as distributed with Emacs (press C-h C-c to view it).
 - ELPA is the Emacs Lisp Package Archive. If you need to install manually for some reason, use M-x package-install-from-buffer. You will need to handle the dependencies manually in that case: slime.el and clojure-mode.el.