These packages are required to use pytest-django, when using pip they will be installed automatically.
- Django 1.3+ (1.4 is supported)
- py.test 2.3.4+
pip install pytest-django
- Make sure
DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULEis defined and and run tests with the
- (Optionally) If you put your tests under a tests directory (the standard Django application layout), and your files are not named
test_FOO.py, see the FAQ
Why would I use this instead of Django's manage.py test command?
Running the test suite with py.test offers some features that are not present in Djangos standard test mechanism:
- Smarter test discovery (no need for
from .foo import *in your test modules).
- Less boilerplate: no need to import unittest, create a subclass with methods. Just write tests as regular functions.
- Injection of test depencies with funcargs
- No need to run all tests, it is easy to specify which tests to run.
- Database re-use: no need to re-create the test database for every test run.
- No hacks required to only run your apps, and not the 3rd party/contrib apps that is listed in your
- There are a lot of other nice plugins available for py.test.
- No pain of switching: Existing unittest-style tests will still work without any modifications.
See the py.test documentation for more information on py.test.
Bugs? Feature suggestions?
Report issues and feature requests at the github issue tracker.