Steering Council Update
Steering Council updates will be posted twice a month (shortly after Steering Council meetings). We provide these updates to foster open and transparent communication about Steering Council activity.
Message from the Steering Council
Ready to steer. We've just wrapped up our first Steering Council video conference. To keep things moving forward, we've scheduled biweekly calls to discuss items under the Steering Council's mandate. To keep you informed about what we're working on, we'll publish updates, similar to this one, twice a month.
Our highest priority is restarting the PEP review process. We are taking a look at all open and draft PEPs by our next meeting in mid-March. After this meeting, we'll update you on next steps for PEP 580 and others.
We're very pleased to see contributing becoming more inclusive and accessible. Thanks Terry and Victor for mentoring and supporting Cheryl Sabella, our newest core developer. Congratulations!
-- Barry, Brett, Carol, Guido, Nick
This section maps Steering Council activity and projects to the mandates listed in PEP 13.
Maintain the quality and stability of the Python language and CPython interpreter
- Python 3.8.0a2 was released on 02-25-2019. Check out the new 3.8 content and give the release a try.
Make contributing as accessible, inclusive, and sustainable as possible
- Communications channels - email, discourse, blend - Victor Stinner request for clarifying usage (PENDING - Carol and Pablo will co-author a PEP)
Establish appropriate decision-making processes for PEPs
- PEP 1 was updated to reflect new Steering Council role (COMPLETED by PR 896)
- Consider PEP 580 - Jeroen Demeyer request (PENDING)
- Requesting a PEP review: Please file an issue on the
Interaction with PSF
Formalize and maintain the relationship between the core team and the PSF
- The PSF Code of Conduct Workgroup is working on a revision of the CoC. Brett and Carol serve on the Workgroup.
Seek consensus among contributors and the core team before acting in a formal capacity Act as a "court of final appeal" for decisions where all other methods have failed.
- Set a biweekly meeting calendar for the Steering Council. (COMPLETED)
- Completed first Steering Council conference call on 02-26-2019. (COMPLETED)
This reference section summarizes the Steering Council's mandate and powers.
Mandate (PEP 13)
The steering council shall work to:
- Maintain the quality and stability of the Python language and CPython interpreter,
- Make contributing as accessible, inclusive, and sustainable as possible,
- Formalize and maintain the relationship between the core team and the PSF,
- Establish appropriate decision-making processes for PEPs,
- Seek consensus among contributors and the core team before acting in a formal capacity,
- Act as a "court of final appeal" for decisions where all other methods have failed.
Powers (PEP 13)
The council has broad authority to make decisions about the project. For example, they can:
- Accept or reject PEPs
- Enforce or update the project's code of conduct
- Work with the PSF to manage any project assets
- Delegate parts of their authority to other subcommittees or processes