Developed by: new qTranslate community, from qTranslate-X by John Clause and qTranslate by Qian Qin
Contributors: herrvigg, johnclause, chineseleper, Vavooon, grafcom
Tags: multilingual, language, admin, tinymce, bilingual, widget, switcher, i18n, l10n, multilanguage, translation
Tested up to: 4.9.7
Stable tag: N/A
License: GPLv3 or later
License URI: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html
Adds a user-friendly multilingual dynamic content management.
The qTranslate-XT plugin is an eXTended version of qTranslate-X that we are trying to revive through a new community, since the original plugin is abandoned by its author. Our first goal is to maintain the essential features of this plugin with the last Wordpress and PHP updates. The migration to Gutenberg will be a critical milestone for the survival of this plugin. We are currently building a new organization to give qTranslate a new life. Let's try together, anyone is welcome to participate!
GitHub repository of the new repo: https://github.com/qtranslate/qtranslate-xt.git.
Since the -XT version is not officially available at Wordpress.org the initial installation must be done manually. You require the permissions to access the
plugins folder of your Wordpress installation. Contact your system administrator if needed.
- Download the last release from GitHub in zip or tar.gz format (usually zip for Windows users). Alternatively, for developers and those familiar with git, you can
git clonethe new repo and work on the current branch.
- Uncompress the archive in your
pluginsfolder and rename it to
- Deactivate plugin qTranslate-X, qTranslate, mqTranslate, qTranslate Plus, zTranslate or any other multilingual plugin, if you are running any.
- Activate qTranslate-XT through the 'Plugins' admin page in WordPress (
If you didn't already have qTranslate-X, proceed with the initial setup of qTranslate-XT:
- Open Settings > Languages configuration page and add/delete/disable any languages you need.
- Add the "qTranslate Language Chooser" widget or "Language Switcher" menu item to let your visitors switch the language.
Check the FAQ for further instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is qTranslate-X not maintained anymore?
The previous qTranslate-Team was only one person. We tried to contact the author many times but we got no answer since 2016. Our goal is to build up a real team and make this plugin available again for the whole community. We can't update the official plugin yet. It is still not clear either if we should go on with the qTranslate name, but for now we should focus on new releases. The -XT version can be seen for the least as a "bridge" project.
I'm still using qTranslate-X, can I test qTranslate-XT?
Yes and it's very easy! Currently you can have both qTranslate-X and qTranslate-XT installed in the plugins folder for experimentations, but you should have at most one active at any time: BOTH -X AND -XT SHARE THE SAME OPTIONS! So if you change some options and switch between the plugins, the last changes will remain for the other. The plugin can actually re-adapt its configuration after a switch, in the general case you have nothing to do. If you have some incompatible options you should see some warnings. Note that even if you uninstall either -X or -XT, the options are not erased!
Disclaimer: we cannot guarantee that all the functionalites are preserved and the installation is at your own responsibility. Be sure to backup your database regularly.
Is WooCommerce supported?
WooCommerce was supported in qTranslate-X through a separate add-on. Since it is quite a small plugin it should definitely be possible to make it work well with qTranslate-XT. Here we need developers who are able to test it properly!
I'm new to qTranslate, where can I find detailed instructions for startup?
Check the legacy website:
- For the new installers, it may be useful to read Startup Guide.
- It is important to read migration instructions, if you previously used other multilingual plugin.
- Read Integration Guide when you need to make theme or other plugin custom fields to be multilingual.
- The legacy FAQ is available at "qTranslate-X explained" website: https://qtranslatexteam.wordpress.com/faq/.
How to update qTranslate-XT with the last release?
Since the -XT version is not available at wordpress.org, we recommend you to install GitHub Updater. This is is an awesome tool to update plugins from a git repo (with many other features). It checks regularly the last release available in github (from the
git tags) and compares it to your current version (defined in the header of
qtranslate.php). If a new release is available an update link will appear as for a regular plugin from Wordpress. The check is performed even if the plugin is deactivated.
Alternatively you can delete the current folder and repeat the installation from the last archive. Make sure to deactivate the previous version and then activate the new one, otherwise you will miss the execution of activation hooks and some options may become misconfigured.
Note for developers:
- since GitHub Updater deploys the archive (tarball) your local git project will be removed if you installed it through
git clone. If you want to use a cloned version in production you should not update through GHU, use
- old releases may contain legacy headers that can become problematic. Be very cautious if you customize the updates for given branches!
This is the first official release of qTranslate-XT! Please check the CHANGELOG and FAQ.
See original plugin.
Check the CHANGELOG.md for the full history.
- Add admin notice for WP5.0: "Gutenberg" block editor not supported, install Classic Editor plugin.
- Fix unresolved variables and unused PHP syntax error in dev code.
- Fix deprecated jQuery.ready JS handler, refactor jQuery wrapper/closure functions and standard coding style.
- Cleanup: reformat all PHP code with WordPress coding style, remove lots of commented code for better clarity. Breathe again!
- Redesign admin Language Switching Buttons (built-in LSB styles) and 'Copy From' button with new ergonomics.
- Remove admin options
lsb_style_active_class. No impact for built-in LSB styles, please make a request if further custom CSS needed.
qtranxf_loadfiles_jsnow replaced with
qtranxf_enqueue_scripts. Neither should be used by other plugins.
- Fix: remove unlimited output buffering introduced with pre-release patch 3.4.8.
- Cleanup: rename
qTranslate-XTas plugin name and for options pages. Replace obsolete links in admin pages, now redirecting to github.
- Localization: update 'fr_FR'.
- First release of qTranslate-XT! Read carefully the new instructions, FAQ and changelog.
- Reorganize project structure for releases through git archives with support of GitHub Updater (see FAQ).
- Fix PHP 7.1+ warnings (expected references)
- Re-package the pending pre-releases (126.96.36.199, 3.4.7, 3.4.8) that were never distributed to wordpress.org (!): new feature "Copy From" and many other changes. Note the last official release of qTranslate-X is 188.8.131.52. Check the changelog for more details.
- Feature: Button "Copy From", which allows to copy multilingual content from other language. Option 'Hide button "Copy From"' on page
/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=qtranslate-x#advancedto turn this feature off is also provided.
- Workaround: added
qTranslateConfig.qtxnamespace in order to recover compatibility with outdated code of plugin ACF qTranslate.
- Improvement: cached values of raw ML fields in WP_Post object, function
- Language preset 'md': locale 'ro_RO' (Moldovan, Moldovenească).
- Language preset 'cs': locale 'cs_CZ' (Czech, Čeština).
- Fix: "Invalid argument supplied for foreach() ... on line 14": Issue #392.
- Improvement: Consistent term framework. Database operation "Clean Legacy Term Names" (at plugin settings page
/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=qtranslate-x#import), which cleans up old imperfections of taxonomy framework.
- Improvement: editing of categories and tags in Raw Editor Mode WP Topic
- Improvement: using now native code for editing of terms. Script
edit-tag-exec.jsis no longer needed.
- Improvement: ML fields are now also highlighted with a color bar in Raw Editor Mode.
- Information: Translators acknowledgement section has been moved from qtranslate.php to /lang/translators-notes.txt to keep all translation-related updates in one folder.
- New Tool: Database operation "Split database file by languages" on page
- Language preset 'kk': locale 'kk' (Kazakh, Қазақ тілі).
The previous issues have been duplicated to our new git repository. Please check the git issues before creating new ones.
The legacy issues should also be reviewed before starting using the plugin.
- Thank you to all people motivated to make this plugin live again!
- Thank you to the authors of the legacy versions, first of all qTranslate-X by John Clause, qTranslate by Qian Qin and all the previous contributors.
Desirable Unimplemented Features
- support for Gutenberg (!!)
- support for translatable slugs (!)
- support for WooCommerce (revive the add-on!)
- unit/integration tests
- legacy of desirable features.