Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Demos are .dm2 files recorded in-game from the point of view of the player that allow for future playback. They’re an excellent resource for learning.
How to play demos (.dm2 files):
- Demos (.dm2 files) should be placed directly in the baseq2/demos folder. Create this folder if it doesn’t exist.
- In console, type set cl_predict 0. This is required to view demos.
- In console, type demomap to view demo. For example, demomap demo1.dm2 in console.
- (Optional) Install Demoplay, to avoid having to open q2 and type “demomap demo1.dm2″ etc. Once you install it, you need only double-click on demos. Demoplay supports r1q2. Have a look at dm2-cfg.txt in the Demoplay installation folder, it has few useful features. If you choose to use Demoplay, you will need to add set cl_predict 0 to your config.cfg or autoexec.cfg. Tip: You can start a demo directly from the command line. For example, c:\quake2\r1q2.exe +set cl_predict 0 +demomap demo.dm2
How to record demos (.dm2 files):
- In R1Q2, simply add set cl_autorecord 1 to your config or type into console, to autorecord every map.
Demos for viewing: