ESOS will run on any x86-64 platform; a 64-bit capable CPU is required (eg, AMD64 / Intel 64). SCST, the core of ESOS, is fully multi-threaded with complete SMP support, meaning the more sockets/cores you have, and the faster your CPUs, the more IO that can be processed.
Enterprise-grade server hardware is definitely recommended for your ESOS disk array. Obviously redundant power supplies, multiple HBAs/HCAs/NICs, fault-tolerant RAID back-storage, memory sparring/mirroring, etc. should all be must-haves for production deployments.
In addition to the above, the following are required to run ESOS:
- At least 4 GB of usable, physical RAM.
- A USB flash drive that is at least 4 GB.
If you have any hardware that you would like supported that is not listed below, please submit a request to the esos-users Google Group.
Local RAID Controllers
While there is support for a number of different RAID controllers, not all brands include the CLI tools that allow creating/destroying/etc. volumes from inside ESOS. If your favorite RAID controller has a CLI tool, please let us know so we can consider including it with ESOS.
- LSI Logic MegaRAID cards (CLI tool: MegaCli64 / storcli64) ** Including re-branded MegaRAID compatible adapters: Dell PERC; IBM ServeRAID; Sun/Oracle, Cisco, and Intel RAID controllers
- Adaptec AACRAID cards (CLI tool: arcconf) ** Including re-branded AACRAID compatible adapters: IBM ServeRAID; Sun/Oracle RAID controllers
- HP Smart Array cards (CLI tool: hpacucli)
- Areca SATA/SAS RAID cards (CLI tool: cli64)
- 3ware 9000-series SATA and 9700-series SATA/SAS RAID cards (CLI tool: tw_cli.x86_64)
Fibre Channel HBAs / FCoE CNAs (Target, Initiator Support)
QLogic FC HBAs and FCoE CNAs are fully supported in ESOS. Emulex FC/FCoE products based on SLI-4 are supported via the OneCore Storage SDK from Emulex (manual build required).
Chelsio T5 10/40 GbE FCoE adapters are supported via the Unified Wire driver (manual build required).
- QLogic QLA2XXX FC Host Bus Adapters (QLE2460, QLE2560, QLA2340, etc.)
- QLogic QLE8XXX FCoE Converged Network Adapters (QLE8360, QLE8362, etc.)
- Emulex XE201 IOC combo adapters (LPe15004, LPe16000B, LPe16202, and LPe16004)
- Emulex XE100-series 10/40 GbE CNAs (OCe14102-UX, OCe14102-UM, OCe14101-NX, OCe14102-NX, and OCe14401-NX)
Chelsio T5 UWire CNAs (T520, T580, T540, and T522)
InfiniBand HCAs (Target, Initiator Support)
Several different brand/model IB Host Channel Adapters work with ESOS.
- Mellanox InfiniHost Host Channel Adapters (MT23108, MT25208, etc.)
- Mellanox ConnectX PCI Express HCAs (MNPH29D-XTR, MHGH28-XTC, etc.) (Note: Cards like the ConnectX-3 that support Ethernet and IB personalities are Ethernet by default until the IB module is loaded.)
- QLogic HTX Host Channel Adapter (QHT7140)
- Intel PCIe QLE InfiniBand HCAs (QLogic QLE7340, QLE7280, etc.)
- Chelsio iWARP/RDMA T3 1/10 GbE adapters
- Cehlsio iWARP/RDMA T4 1/10 GbE adapters
- NetEffect Ethernet Cluster Server Adapters (RNIC driver)
Network Interface Cards / CNAs (Initiator, NIC Support)
Although Linux provides drivers for a ton of different NICs, we tried to keep it simple and only support NICs that are common in enterprise IT environments. The list below includes popular 10 GbE and 1 GbE cards, and even a couple lower-end cards that might be useful for console/configuration access (SSH).
- Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet adapters
- Intel PRO/1000 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet adapters
- Intel 82575/82576 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet adapters
- Broadcom Tigon3 adapters
- Broadcom NetXtremeII adapters (with CNIC support)
- QLogic QLA3XXX adapters
- Chelsio T1/T3/T4 1 GbE and 10 GbE adapters (with T3/T4 initiator iSCSI offload support)
- Cisco VIC Ethernet NIC adapter
- Intel 10GbE PCI Express adapters
- Intel PRO/10GbE adapters
- Mellanox Technologies ConnectX 10Gbit Ethernet adapters (Note: Cards like the ConnectX-3 that support Ethernet and IB personalities are Ethernet by default until the IB module is loaded.)
- Broadcom NetXtremeII 10Gb cards (with iSCSI/FCoE initiator offload support)
- QLogic QLCNIC 1/10Gb CNAs (QLE8240, QLE8242)
- QLogic QLGE ISP8XXX 10Gb Ethernet adapters
- Brocade 1010/1020 10Gb Ethernet cards
- Intel(R) PRO/100+ Ethernet cards
- RealTek RTL-8139 C+ PCI Fast Ethernet adapters
- RealTek RTL-8129/8130/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet adapters
- Realtek 8169 Gigabit Ethernet cards
- Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet cards
- Marvell Yukon 2 Ethernet adapters